branded oil vs non-branded

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 406 HDI 110.

atm the oil only seems to last for 1/2 the time is should (ie around 5K, not the 12K between services.

I know the oil wont last as long as it should, as most of my mileage is local round town stuff, 10 miles or less.

however, we do use our caravan alot during the warmer months, after an oil change, and for about the next 5K, the oil temp stays around 90, and all is well, however after this the oil temp starts to go up a bit higher (nothing dangerous) and I loose a bit of performance on a warm engine (especially on trips with high turbo usage).

would a more expensive branded oil such as magnatec be any better or not, at the moment I use the same stuff the local garages use.

any tips gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
what do you mean when you say it doesn't last long?

does the oil level drop? Does it go black? Does pressure drop? Or what?

What do you mean by "unbranded" and "it doesn't last long"?
As long as the oil you use has the SAE grade on it (i.e. CE) and it the correct viscosity, you'll be able to compare it with a "branded" oil.

I have always used the cheapest oil I can get that has the correct spec, less than £10, but, I always change it at 5,000 miles and all my XM diesels have survived to well over 200,000 miles, the last one I sold had covered nearly 300,000. I believe that frequent oil changes are much more benificial than expensive oil. Since the introduction of ridiculously long oil change intervals, engines don't seem to be lasting as long.

Sponsored Links
personally i wouldnt buy a brand ive never heard of but thats not to say its ok as long as it meets all the specs required
i usually pick up 10w 40 semi for £15 a gallon and 5w 30 fully for £19 from a local factors

hi, unbranded as in the stuff the local motor factors stocks, in bulk, and the local mechanics/garages buy from them.

doesnt last long as in only lasts 5-6K, before the turbo starts to get noticably warmer (via the oil temp guage) onder load.
after oil change for first 5-6K oil temp stays around 90 degC
after this it goes up to the next mark or two (guessing around 125-140ish as the next numerical mark is 150)

the oil is the correct viscosity, at least to begin with.

Id decrease the mileage between changes if i were you, especially with short stop/start journeys. I tend to do mine every 6000 miles

Id decrease the mileage between changes if i were you, especially with short stop/start journeys. I tend to do mine every 6000 miles

Totally agree being a diesel. 6k maximum for an oil change. For £20 a time and 10 minute job, it's not worth buggering around!

thats what i have been doing, mainly because i didnt want to damage the turbo, just wondered weather a branded oil EG magnatec was worth the extra expense.

will be getting a change in the next few weeks before the caravan comes back out...

My favourite? Millers XFE. Use it in all of my diesels, apart from the Pumpe deuse ones. Then its XFE PD!
There is a fully synthetic formula too - SAE 5W/30 for the Renault dci.
John :)

dont bother with magnatec, find a gsf car parts near you and see how much the fuchs oil they carry is. Its usually under £20 for fully synthetic and is good stuff

Sponsored Links
Back