Brass bulkhead heat issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have just installed an antique brass bulkhead to the (artex) ceiling of our kitchen. I chased into the artex to get the wire from the original light to sit behind the bulkhead where it then enters the unit via the hole at the side.

As it is a brass fixture it conducts a lot of heat when the light is on. Although it has been described as suitable for ceiling use I am concerned about the safety regarding this. The artex around the light did get fairly hot when testing. Is this normal? Also are there issues in having the wire directly behind the brass casing?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I'm not entirely certain on the age of the Artex. The house itself dates back to the 1800s but most of the decor was last updated around the 1980s so it could be around that era. I have ordered an LED bulb to see if that makes a difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back