Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I have recently bought a 25 year old bungalow in a Shaugh Prior in Devon.

The bungalow hasn't been touched since it was built so everything is original. Including the lovely Fan effect artexing on the ceilings. I have been slowly removing all of the ceiling lights and putting up ceiling roses in readiness for the plasterer that's coming on Friday.

What I found when I removed the lights was the 3 cables (switch cable, loop cable & live cable) were all wired into a ceiling rose and then the flex from the ceiling rose was used to wire into the lights, the ceiling rose was then stuffed into the celing so the drop cable was visible.

I have now removed the old ceiling roses and wired them into new ones and attached the new ones to the ceiling.

My question today is: would it be better to wire the 3 cables (mentioned above) into a 4 terminal junction box and drop a drop cable down into the room to attach the ceiling rose to instead of the 3 cables coming through the ceiling in each room?

I am only thinking that it would give a better finish to the plastering and would be easier to fit our chosen lights to when we decorate each room.

Sorry if I have used the wrong terminology for any of the cable names above, I am a very competent DIY'er but not a professional.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Sponsored Links
Today it is common to fit a maintenance free junction box in the ceiling as to which is best depends on the lights one is going to use.

The traditional ceiling rose system means a low earth loop impedance and volt drop compared with using the switch as junction box and also provides permanent line for emergency lights and ceiling fans.

British ceiling mount lamps will have provision for the four connections. But European lamps often need modifying to suit the British system.

Hiding a junction box causes problems for electricians doing reports as they can't find the box so don't know it maintenance free or type with screws which need testing for tightness. So even if the work you do is A1 it may mean codes on an EICR in the future unless you produce Minor Works Certificates.

Much will depend how pedantic the electrician is.

Most ceiling roses have the same screw hole spacing as conduit boxes so you could use conduit boxes to give room for the wires to be joined and viewed but personally I think that's going OTT.

So there is no right and wrong way it really is up to you. In the main it depends on what lighting you intend to use.

As it is a bungalow, a standard junction box in the loft is fine. Providing:

It is accessible
The Junction box is fixed to the structure (ie a joist)
The cables are clipped so thay cannot be pulled out.

I am only thinking that it would give a better finish to the plastering and would be easier to fit our chosen lights to when we decorate each room.
For the best plaster finish, remove the existing lights from the ceiling, and pull the cables back into the loft.
Then have the ceiling plastered, and afterwards, drill a hole for the cables to be passed through to whatever light fitting you want.

Sponsored Links
Fine provided you know exactly where to drill the hole.

If the floor permits it use a plumb weight and make a mark on the floor directly below the old hole. Then use the plumb weight to mark the ceiling after the plaster is dry.

Otherwise use a length of string from one corner to the hole, tie a knot there and then continue the string to the other corner of the same wall, tie a knot there and cut it with the knot identifying that end goes into that corner.

When the plaster is dry the string and two helpers, one in each corner, will enable you to drill reasonably close to the wires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back