Brass light fitting without earth wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a new brass chandelier on ebay and it was shipped from India. It has a live and a neutral wire but no earth wire coming out of it anywhere. Does this mean it is unsafe? Is it possible for it to be earthed? I can't see any markings on it anywhere to suggest it is double insulated (suggested on some other posts).

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Post a photo of the connector area of the fitting.

You might have to adapt it to make it safe

There is just this wire - no connecting block

IMG_0129.jpg

Sponsored Links
Some countries sell these lights and seem to feel by using insulated plastic lampholders, that it negates the need to earth the metal.
Unfortunately there not always safe for use without an earth.
You could earth the fitting by small alterations, but you have no means of testing the light is safe after.
It looks good quality, i would be tempted to get it rebuilt with UK lampholders and Uk cabling including earth

Thanks. I might look into getting it adapted or if that's going to be pricey I'll attempt to return it. It's a shame because the metal work is really nice. Thanks for the advice.

I can't see any markings on it anywhere to suggest it is double insulated (suggested on some other posts).
Can you see any markings on it, or on the packaging, to suggest it complies with the necessary EU standards?

Did you know you were buying it directly from India?

If you are going to try to add an earth, also make sure the polarity is correct on ask the Lamp holders assuming they are screw fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back