breather membrane over ridge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

i believe I may have done something daft and put the ridge tiles on a the roof but not taken the breather membrane right over the ridge.

Is there any way I can ensure there wont be any leaks like gasket clips over the joins of the ridge tiles?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Is there any way I can ensure there wont be any leaks

No.

How on earth can you "forget" to do this?

Over time, as the roof flexes the ridges will move and joints crack. Whether this lets in water or not is unknown (pre 1950's houses had no underfelt and are fine) but the risk remains

Hi Woody,

Thanks for that, I just thought it had to breathe through the top, there is some over lap from the membrane but its not a full sheet. However, if it lasts until next summer, I'd be really pleased with that and I can completely redo it then

Do you reckon it'll be alright till then?

C

Sponsored Links
SAS

Could you define properly Ive never done any roofing before so havent a clue but I did cement both sides of the ridge tile and cement the join and have intentions of pointing up tomorrow morning again just in case.

Do you have any top tips?

many thanks

Water proofer mixed in with the mortar, and a decent amount (but not too much!) of mortar for the ridges to sit on at each end where they meet eachother, with the right amount under the edges where the ridge laps the tiles, and you should have no worries.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back