breather membrane / paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone explain to me the difference between breather paper and membrane - or are they the same thing? I'm using Klober permo forte for underlay on my pitched roof, and I had assumed that the breather membrane I would use on my dormer walls (cladding, 25x38 batten, breather membrane, 18mm ply, studs/insulation,vapour barrier, plaster board - outside to inside) could be this? But is this an expensive option - should I use klober permo frame, or something else. So, fundamentally, is breather paper used on timber walls different - does a different job - than breather membranes under tiles? I appreciate the latter stops water ingres, allows vapour egress - does breather paper do this? any help appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Can anyone explain to me the difference between breather paper and membrane - or are they the same thing? I'm using Klober permo forte for underlay on my pitched roof, and I had assumed that the breather membrane I would use on my dormer walls (cladding, 25x38 batten, breather membrane, 18mm ply, studs/insulation,vapour barrier, plaster board - outside to inside) could be this? But is this an expensive option - should I use klober permo frame, or something else. So, fundamentally, is breather paper used on timber walls different - does a different job - than breather membranes under tiles? I appreciate the latter stops water ingres, allows vapour egress - does breather paper do this? any help appreciated!!

Breather membrane is the modern day equiv of building paper. It's better all-round, longer lasting, virtually tear proof etc. Spend the extra on membrane for a better job.

so, Deluks, using klober permo forte is the right way to go?

Dunno what it is, does, is used for.
If it's a breathable and waterproof membrane then you can use it in either application. Utimately good building ventilation is more important than type of membrane used.
There seems to be several types of klober breathable membranes with different purposes. I reckon this is mainly marketing. If you use vapour barrier and all your seams are tight, and you use extraction in kitchens/bathrooms and have trickle vents in windows then no moisture will enter the wall in the first place, so any old breathable membrane will do. But like mentioned earlier I would avoid paper as it's not as durable, and should you lose some tiles will not stand up to a soaking.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back