Breezblock wall above internal wall - loadbearing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am removing an internal wall in a 1930s groundfloor flat which is made of breezblock. It rests directly on the floorboards and the beams/joists in the floor above run the same direction as the wall - both of which makes me think my wall is not loadbearing. However, there is a similar breezeblock internal wall in the flat above directly over the wall i want to take out (span is approx 3 metres). So, is it loadbearing or non-loadbearing or something inbetween and do i need to put in a support beam?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
A load bearing wall shouldn't be sitting on the floorboards, so this one is unlikely to be one. However just because the ceiling joists run with it doesn't mean it isn't as it could continue above into the next floor. It most likely finishes at the ceiling. The one above probably sits on a sole plate on the floor.

Have you got the landlords permission?

Even if you take this wall out, and the wall above is sitting on the floor, then if anything does happen above in the future, you will be blamed for this.

Don't forget the Party Wall Act to, and making sure you reinstate any fire stopping to the floor

you're assuming that he rents the flat..

he may own it.. I own mine..

does the party wall act apply verticaly too? i thought it just applied to the wall seperating you from the neighbour..

if it does just sit on the floorboards, you need to get under them to see what's supporting them...

it may be that there is a wall under there that supports the floor and thus the blocks above..

Sponsored Links
You can own a flat, but you do not own the building. Any structural work within an owned flat, normally requires the landlords/management agents permission. As does work affecting the fire precautions of the flat and the block

The PWA applies to floors separating individual properties

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back