Breeze Block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I live in a new build and one of the external walls is partially breeze blocks. one of the blocks has cracked and this aspect of the building is not covered by the insurance. does anyone know how easy it would be to replace the block? Also i notice that my living room floor is not level. Could this be due to the way the laminate floor has been put down or could it be because the concrete floor is not level?

Sponsored Links
Blocks easy to remove, just drill all the way around it chop through with a bolster chisel and clean up the opening before fitting the new block. As for the floor could be either, look around for signs of cracks just to check for movement in the house itself.

Blocks do crack it is fairly common.

However, it is unusual to have exposed or external lw aggregate blocks, as external facing blocks are usually dense concrete?

How is one cracked block a problem?

This site could do with a glossary of commonly mis-used terms such as 'damp-course', 'steel rsj' and of course 'breeze block'!

Sponsored Links
Blocks do crack it is fairly common.

However, it is unusual to have exposed or external lw aggregate blocks, as external facing blocks are usually dense concrete?

How is one cracked block a problem?
actually i dont think they are called breeze blocks. they are glass blocks and one is cracked

Can someone please tell me what the correct term is for what is often called a breeze-block ?

Aerated block.

Light-weight aggregate block or lytag blocks.

flyash or cinderblock.

3.5n light-weight block.

Whilst i understand Tonys' irritation i don't agree with the term 'damp course' being misleading.

In fact, virtually all builders simply refer to this detail as the 'damp'.

I.e. building up to 'damp', when I'm within two courses of the 'damp', building up off the 'damp', etc, etc.

i don't agree with the term 'damp course' being misleading.

Pedantic; perhaps. Old-fashioneed, maybe, but a 'damp course' can only be a course of dampness.

Having said that, one day in the not too distant future, the Approved Documents and text books will use the abbreviation 'dc' instead of 'dpc'; the colloquial usually wins in the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back