Breeze Block Base?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are currently in the midst of a refurb on a new house

Part of the house has a 2 storey extention and we noticed today that the bathoom on the 2nd floor was made of breeze blocks which are resting on wood rafters?...Is this correct?...We also notcied the same in the main bedroom and its en-suite...this was also made of breeze blocks..put on wood floor?

K

Sponsored Links
yes, they did build on first floor using cinderblock or fly ash masonry, usually in thin 60mm'ish blocks. these would be laid onto a starter timber, and wouldn't necessarily have a supporting wall directly below.

Just as my house is, all internal walls are cinderblock. The walls from front to back are offset above, the walls from side to side are inline.

Ok guys!

Builder came in!

Jeeeeez! Ok here goes

basically the breeze blocks are the heavier ones and not the light weight ones. Whats worse is that the walls are not straight so the 4inch blocks are at one point resting 2inch eam 2 inch floor, and in the corners 1.5 inch Beam 2.5inch Floor!! and there not placed on a support wall below!

Whats worse, is that in the roof, there are noggins resting on the top of this wall!!!!!!!

So im now like OKKK" We bought the house 4 months back and this should DEF been covered in the Home Buyers Survey!....So I called them....and they are coming tomorrow....and one the one the guy who did the survey said "we are humans it happens!". JEEEEZ!

Any input?

Sponsored Links
Its around 50's

And just to rephrase the above lol which didnt come out clear

The 4 inch breeze blocks, they are resting Half on a Joist and Half on the Wooden Sub floor, and this is at the start of the wall. As the wall goes across the room, it gets to a point where there is 3 inchs resting on the wooden sub floor and 1 inch on the breeze block....so its clearly moved! Even worse as well...they have stuffed wood piece intermittently under the Breeze Blocks......but at random spaces.....

How messed up is this!!!

The refurb on my 60’s property has uncovered some real bodges that would be regarded as a definite no, no now; it seems there wasn’t much control back then! The way I’ve approached the problems I’ve discovered it is to analyse how serious they are in reality & adopt the approach that “if it ain’t broke don’t try & fix it”; it’s been there for 45 years with few symptoms & if it hasn’t fallen down by now it’s unlikely to do so.

Many older properties based on barn/farm building renovations don’t have any foundations to speak of & are built of unfired clay lumps but they are still standing 200 odd years later! I’ve rectified as much as I can & where I felt it was necessary but short of ripping it down & starting again, (I had no option with one wall!) what else can you do!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back