Brick ageing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am having a bay window replaced - was originally stone and brick built but was replaced in the 80s with a single full height UPVC bay!
The house is 1900-1920 so the house brickwork has aged considerably. The builder wants to use new (St.Annes Red) brick which will obviously standout like a sore thumb from the original.
Has anybody got any recommendations on how I could go about ageing the new brick so it looks more like the original? Is it even worth bothering about?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can buy a kit to age your bricks. Click here for details.

I have heard stories of brushing yoghurt on can age the appearance as it goes mouldy, but I haven't tried it.

Whether it's worth bothering with is up to you really.

Funny enough I was looking at this last night.
(I,m trying to source bricks for my garden wall)

If you type into google or any another search engine 'brick matching service'
You will get a load of compaines where you take a picture of your brickwork/wall and send it to them via email. They will find you the nearest matching bricks. With a price to have them delivered to you. :LOL:

Andy

"The builder wants to use""?????
Your the client, it's up to you what bricks you want him to use. If the builder isn't happy to use whatever you supply then, I reckon it's time to find another builder.[/b]

Sponsored Links
Chimney soot mixed with water and brushed on is an old trick to age new bricks. Do some tests first though to get the mixture right and to make sure that it will look ok as results will vary.

stem";p="1588628 said:
You can buy a kit to age your bricks. Click here for details.
quote]

Has any body got experience of these kits? Though if it's just soot in a posh bottle it may be on the expensive side!

"The builder wants to use""?????
Your the client, it's up to you what bricks you want him to use. If the builder isn't happy to use whatever you supply then, I reckon it's time to find another builder.[/b]

I agree.

We always show samples to the customers for approval. Also, if it is under planning approval then these bods will have a say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back