Brick and half x 1 brick collums

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

in a bit of a dilemma, my brickie built me 4 columns on a wall and in photos you can see what ive done, im just very worried that the columns are not strong enough at all to support the panels which are very heavy and need 2 people to lift. So im expecting one day to have to sort the columns out by rebuilding them, id like to stick to there current size and just use a stronger gobbo, would using sharp sand be stronger, or put more cement in say a 2 to 1 mix or something .

this is all new to me, all i want is a strong column to stay up and hold the gate which is again very heavey.

any info,, help ,, advice would be greatley appreciated..

regards

andy
photo.php

Attachments

• wallfence.jpg
    wallfence.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 139
Sponsored Links
The piers will be OK. I'd be more worried about the planners if you have not already got permission.

The panels aren't a problem- the loading on the columns imposed by them is mainly vertical, unless you get any high wind round there- even then they're relatively small so shouldn't be an issue.
The gate is more of a problem since (when closed) it is tending to pull the column across, when open it'll tend to pull the column towards the house- both these actions put tension into the column and masonry isn't very good in tension. If you support the edge of the gate (with a wheel) you'll mainly solve both issues.

Brickwork looks nice and neat- any particular reason you wanted those timber monstrosities out front, they look very intimidating to me.

Sponsored Links
That looks appalling - I would expect the neighbours to be on the phone to the council asap.

If you're worried you can put rebar in the middle but as said your main issue apart from the looks is that front walls can't be more than a metre for permitted development, can you imagine what the street would feel like if everyone did the same

Is the centre of the column hollow?

What was the purpose of the wall? Privacy, Security, Aesthetics?

From a security point of view, hiding the front of the house also hides anyone that is breaking in or otherwise up to no good.

the reason for the wall is I have my own business and have at times no choice but to temporarily leave items of low or scrap value on my drive. which attracts scrap men who at times come in and help themselves. I took up a 6 foot hedge to put this up which is slightly lower. I don't like people walking past my house looking at what's in my garden.as we don't live in a particularly well to do neighborhood i didn't realise I might need planning permission. I'll call council in the morning. thanks for the advice .

I'll call council in the morning. thanks for the advice

Best not do that as you may find you dont get it.

Wait to see if someone complains, as then you will be in the same position and can then apply for permission if the planners ask you to.
After four years with no letter from the planners, you wont need to worry as they can't enforce against it.

You can probably get around it by having a big plastic box eg meter or similar. Of course it depends on the size of the item.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back