Brick/Block Query...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello...

Been AGES since my last post...nearly forgot my details!!

Anyhow, we've just moved into a new build and erm...I'm confused about something!

I have noticed a number of small hexagonal shaped plastic insert all around the exterior of the house. I They are hollow in the middle and appear roughly every 2 feet, on the brick course above the damp proof membrane, and on the course incorporating external door and window lintels.

What the hell are they!? My first thought was something to do with an injected DPM, but this is a new build and shouldn't need one? Now I'm thinking they're breathers to allow the internal blockwork mortar, and plastering to dry steadilly??

Help!

:D

Sponsored Links
Sounds like weepvents, they are there over horizontal damp trays to let any water that might accumulte there out

Sounds like weepvents, they are there over horizontal damp trays to let any water that might accumulte there out

Cheers bud, think you're right...They've gone overkill on them though, as they are present throughout the entire course, not just over the lintels/trays! Mind you the house is quite exposed...

Must be technology moving forward, my old man just used to poke a screwdriver in the mortar after laying the brick to create weep vents!

Cheers bud, think you're right...They've gone overkill on them though, as they are present throughout the entire course, not just over the lintels/trays! Mind you the house is quite exposed...

Must be technology moving forward, my old man just used to poke a screwdriver in the mortar after laying the brick to create weep vents!

Rightly or wrongly they've been a stipulation by building control for years especially on non-rendered skins. Every 900 centres above a stepped dpc which is theoretically over all openings and at floor levels.

Sponsored Links
Hi there

i have been a bricklayer/general builder for 27 years has anyone ever seen water coming out of these "weep holes",

i never have !

Hi there

i have been a bricklayer/general builder for 27 years has anyone ever seen water coming out of these "weep holes",

i never have !
yes i have seen them work, a few times actualy, I often throw remains of wifes flask of coffee in the cavity by lunch time :LOL:

GALLERY]
I think that you can safely say that these weepholes at floor level are allowing water out. Its a very exposed SW flank but without the weepholes the stains might not have been be too bad.

GALLERY]
I think that you can safely say that these weepholes at floor level are allowing water out. Its a very exposed SW flank but without the weepholes the stains might not have been be too bad.

That's not weeping, that is where a lift of bricks has been exposed to rain.

A lift lower down has been through the same thing.

You can clearly see the changes in scaffold lifts. The labourer did a lousy job of mixing the bricks. :rolleyes:

GALLERY]

That's not weeping, that is where a lift of bricks has been exposed to rain.

A lift lower down has been through the same thing.

You can clearly see the changes in scaffold lifts. The labourer did a lousy job of mixing the bricks. :rolleyes:
spot on nosey, again lol

noseall,
Its definately coming out of the weepholes. Its a timber framed building with trays over the cavity barriers at floor levels. It started weeping about a year after being built.

noseall,
Its definately coming out of the weepholes. Its a timber framed building with trays over the cavity barriers at floor levels. It started weeping about a year after being built.
look stuart why dont you look at it with a telescope,maybe you can see the runs closely,there only there where the scaffold pudlaks have been, weep holes arent every other brick you know jesus if noseall says your wrong you are wrong get use to it :LOL: right about the hoddy ,he could had mixed the bricks better

noseall,
look stuart why dont you look at it with a telescope,maybe you can see the runs closely,there only there where the scaffold pudlaks have been, weep holes arent every other brick you know jesus if noseall says your wrong you are wrong get use to it :LOL: right about the hoddy ,he could had mixed the bricks better
hmmm wonder of stuart gets his info from alice in wonderland :rolleyes:

noseall,

It does coincide with both floor levels. But there is a proliferation of efflorescence quite widespread over the lower floor level. The majority of the longer streaks does coincide with what looks like every fourth brick or vent though.

Intriguing. :confused: :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back