Solid or Hollow blocks for brick shed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

quick question - I am building a single skin brick shed to house my tools and kids bikes more securely.

Have been perusing travis Perkins website and they have solid and dense concrete blocks - is one better than the other for my purpose?

Am thinking hollow as they are wider and maybe insert occasional iron rods around the corners

Any other pointers welcome

Sponsored Links
4" with columns is going to be easier to lay than 6/8 inch hollows.

You'll have great difficulty buiding a brick shed out of blocks - solid or hollow. :rolleyes:

There is no reason not to use normal 100mm blocks - you can even get hollow 100mm blocks. The bigger decision is whether the blocks will be rendered or unfinished, as this will determine whether to use denser (heavier) blocks with a nice face, or lighter blocks with a rough face.

Sponsored Links
If you can a 3N block with a smooth face, then go for that if you ar edoing the lifting. Or rough face and render.

Im not exactly an expert but for what its worth id say go for 4inch solid blocks if someone else is doing the laying. If you are doing it as a DIYer then I would choose the hollows and fill them with concrete. It also depends on the longest wall length of the proposed building. You are meant to build peers or columns every 3 metres.

I would cover the external blockwork with SARKit roof lining or plastic sheets. Then attach batterns using hammer fixings, then clad with featheredge boards.

On my 5 car garage im building I opted for 6inch hollows and have placed rebar drilled into the slab every 1m or so. I think in the trade these are known as starter bars.

Good luck with the build.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back