Brick cleaning advice needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new to the forum and am doing a self build that involves using the old bricks from the property. They are covered in the old lime mortar, most of which luckily is quite soft. Can anyone advise me on a good way to clean these bricks as the thought of going at each of them with a bolster and lump hammer does not appeal! My latest thinking is to soak them in water for a week or so and then pressure wash them. Is this a good idea or a bad one? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi and welcome, unfortunately your first thought is correct, if most of them still have their beds and some perps still on them, then the only way is some careful chiselling with a bolster :cry:

Try using a brick hammer - it may be a lot quicker than hammer and chisel.

If you soak them, then this wont weaken the mortar, nor magically dissolve it, and it will probably make it harder to get off and could introduce some salt staining issues when the bricks dry.

I think the opposite is better - dry the mortar as much as possible and it will knock off easier

use a scutch chisel it will clean it off much quicker. as woody said the dryer the better

Sponsored Links
Hi All, thanx for the replys. I've tried several experiments with this little problem. I have tried soaking them in water that has biological washing powder in it (typical woman!) the thinking behind this is that washing powder has a surfactant in it that makes the water 'wetter' in that it breaks up the surface tension. I have soaked in vinegary water, the thinking being that the lime mortar is alkaline and the acid will help to break it down, and just plain old water. They all come out stonkingly clean and I plan to use a 15m x 4m damp proof membrane as a 'pond liner' in one of the rooms and fill it up with bricks and then fill it with water, leave it for a week and then pressure wash them. I am worried that this may be a really bad idea for some reason though. I have dropped the vinegar idea as a house smelling of fish and chips doesn't appeal! I think this is the best way to get hundreds of bricks cleaned at a time, albeit labour intensive not so bad as scraping each individual brick.! Am I right in thinking that provided the bricks don't get frosted while they are wet there will be no problem with this idea? Thanks for your help everyone.

Soaking might (almost certainly will) cause severe efflourescence later. Whilst not harmful it is very unsightly.

If the mortar is soft then rubbing is usually the quickest method. Get yourself a nice big slab of something heavy - like stone or concrete - preferably with a slightly rough surface and bash/rub the brick against it.

Easier than bolstering and once you get going you'll be suprised how many you can do in a couple of hours.

Thanks John (Jeds), this is the sort of advice I need! Your method does sound more attractive I have to say! Would the bricks still show signs of efflorescence after being there for 200 years in the wall? The house we are taking down was built in about 1800 Sorry to sound such a novice about this! The bricks look so much better after being washed. I guess there is a difference between washing them briefly though and soaking yes? best wishes, Carol. :D

Don't really know the answer to that. Soaking is normally guaranteed to cause efflourescence. The only reason I said it might in your case was the bricks are old and I'm not certain how old bricks will react. Problem is you won't know until it's too late.

Hi, thanks for that. I think I will follow your advise and use the rubbing tham on a rough piece of concrete method. Knowing my luck I would end up with a house that looked like a frothy pint of beer or a coconut macaroon otherwise! Sincere thanks for all your help! Carol.

If the bricks are over 200 years old you shouldn't have any problems with efflourescence, any salts in the bricks should have weathered out by now. I still wouldn't recommend soaking them though. As mater says, a scutch hammer works well and if you really like the clean look, you could jet wash the walls after they're built (try a test patch before doing the whole wall though).

How about sandblasting them after they are built. :D

Hi, At the moment they are coming away with just a brush with a dry nylon scrubbing brush cleaning them up, such is the state of the old mortar! :D I will have to fight the urge to wash them and hope that the majority of them come away as clean as these.
Can anyone do anything about this festering weather please as I am breaking all the sartorial rules and cleaning bricks with wellies, leggings, 14 layers on top and a plastic groundsheet bought from a Landrover show with a hole cut for my head and the starting rope from the mower around my middle to hold it all in place! NO chance of showing any builders bum with this lot on! ;)

Can anyone do anything about this festering weather please as I am breaking all the sartorial rules and cleaning bricks with wellies, leggings, 14 layers on top and a plastic groundsheet bought from a Landrover show with a hole cut for my head and the starting rope from the mower around my middle to hold it all in place! NO chance of showing any builders bum with this lot on! ;)

do not overheat, it is most unhealthy. try not to get sweaty either as this will be detrimental when you stop working - you will freeze!

by a real wool top or a good fleece. ;) :LOL:

I CLEAN BRICKS LIKE THESE ALL THE TIME ,FINDD BEST WAY IS WITH BRICKHAMMER OR AXE.THEN BRUSH OFF WITH WIREBRUSH.YOU CAN THEN US STONE FLOOR SEALER TO BRING THE NATURAL COLOUR BACK OR BREATHABLE BRICK SEALER , FOR LONGER LIFE.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back