Brick Durability Designation F2 vs F2S2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Replacing top course of bricks on front garden wall that are london bricks and have broken from frost / rain, I dont want coping and not to keen on engineered bricks so Im trying to find a strong brick that is good in the frost etc, any recommendations ?

I have been looking at the Jewson Brick library http://www.jewson.co.uk/en/templates/brickLibrary/main.jsp , in here it has a durability rating and % water absorption, checking out an engineered brick the they have a durability of F2S2 and % absorption < 3%, so I'm using that as my base line. I'm I right in saying that F2S2 means its the most durable more durable than just an F2 ? In terms of water absortbtion what % as a max should I look for in a brick that I will use on top course of garden wall that is exposed.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Your comments are correct in the sense that an F2 brick is rated to cope where the bricks are subjected to repeated freezing and thawing. The S2 basically mean that the brick is classed as a low category of active soluble salts contents.

One of our main brick suppliers Wienerberger recommend F2/S2 Bricks for any free standing wall and the majority of their bricks achieve this rating. Just looking at your comment regarding engineering bricks we need to remember that when ordering an engineering brick there are no guarantee that the face of the product will be of good quality, this is something people do not understand and then complain.

Mark Wright
Jewson Ltd

remember that when ordering an engineering brick there are no guarantee that the face of the product will be of good quality, this is something people do not understand and then complain.

Mark Wright
Jewson Ltd

Some of your competitors will actually ask what you want the engineers for, and if you say "for copings", then will offer nice smooth and square ones, and not the normal drag-faced ones ;)

I'm I right in saying that F2S2 means its the most durable more durable than just an F2 ?

In terms of water absortbtion what % as a max should I look for

The S2 bit relates to soluble salt ion content, and resistance to sulphate attack - so not relevant to durability for this use as copings

For water absorption, you should look for as low as possible. Class B engineers are 7%, so as close to this as you can would be good

As a general guide, choose a brick of suitable F rating which is one colour and with nothing backed into the face - as once the face chips, the clay bellow can be softer.

Sponsored Links
remember that when ordering an engineering brick there are no guarantee that the face of the product will be of good quality, this is something people do not understand and then complain.

Mark Wright
Jewson Ltd

Some of your competitors will actually ask what you want the engineers for, and if you say "for copings", then will offer nice smooth and square ones, and not the normal drag-faced ones ;)

I see. Thanks for the heads up. I will inform the Category Manager so that they are aware other people offer this.

Mark Wright
Jewson Ltd

I'm I right in saying that F2S2 means its the most durable more durable than just an F2 ?

In terms of water absortbtion what % as a max should I look for

The S2 bit relates to soluble salt ion content, and resistance to sulphate attack - so not relevant to durability for this use as copings

For water absorption, you should look for as low as possible. Class B engineers are 7%, so as close to this as you can would be good

As a general guide, choose a brick of suitable F rating which is one colour and with nothing backed into the face - as once the face chips, the clay bellow can be softer.

Thanks Woody :mrgreen: when you say 'nothing backed into the face' do you mean not the drag face ones with the indents in the facing and to choose a smooth faced brick instead ?

cheers :D

LOL, sorry, that's a typo, it should be nothing baked into the face :oops:

Taking London bricks as an example, you may find a white face which is different to the rest of the clay

102.jpg

It's just a general guide as some bricks will be just as durable whatever the face, but just bear it in mind

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back