Brick Lights - leccy Q

I tried that ... due to shape of the casing & the inside frame it's not an option ... they foul the inners.
I did try a couple of different types of Nylon glands fitted in 'reverse'

Sponsored Links
What about fitting the glands backwards, with the thread on the outside?

If it is a double skin wall (sorry not a builder so correct me if I am wrong)
I think the term is "nine-inch".

Before I gave up the idea of bricklights last year, having been unable to find makers with a design philosophy between "lets make them as cheap as we can out of Bacofoil, BluTak and papier mache" and "let's pretend it's a deep-sea fighting vehicle", I'd never thought of a way to loop a cable from one to the next in a 4" wall...

Sponsored Links
adamhorden";p="1121348 said:
RickH";p="1121343 said:
Can you take a photo so we can take a look?

Adam

Adam

Adam ..... I have uploaded a pic

This is a failry standard external wall construction ... 100 deep facebrick, backed by 100 concrete block, there is a slight gap between them, but this is in general filled with mortar as build progress, it is not a 'cavity wall'

Hopefully pic shows the Hi-Tuff, I have stripped off the outer sheath where it exits the blockwork wall.

What's on the other side of the wall?

Do the cable exit holes align with where you might have glands on the lights?

What's on the other side of the wall?

Do the cable exit holes align with where you might have glands on the lights?

Behind the concrete wall is soil, the wall is a retaining wall.
The holes roughly line up with grommet locationson light fittings.

Why not drill two suitable holes in the fitting and forget the glands, put a bit of silcon round the cables. If its all going to be surrounded by mortar nothings going to move. No worse than a flush box with T&E going into it and all held solid by the surrounding plaster.

This is my fall back position ... although some were against this idea.
I suppose I could use cable box sealing mastic ..
something like http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BIR391.html

What have you done to provide mechanical protection for the cable?

Make the holes bigger so that the glands can be accommodated.

something like http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BIR391.html[/QUOTE]
That's for packing out enclosures, not sealing holes...

What have you done to provide mechanical protection for the cable?

Make the holes bigger so that the glands can be accommodated.

something like http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BIR391.html[/QUOTE]
That's for packing out enclosures, not sealing holes...

>mechanical protection ... not needed - it's HiTuf, that is why I used it.

>make holes bigger ? ... do you mean the concrete blocks ... can't do that as cables are poking through the holes, and several feet of earth on top of cables behind th wall.

Wrong.

Oh dear.

522.8.10 - Except where installed in a conduit or duct which provides equivalent protection against mechanical damage, a cable buried in the ground shall incorporate an earthed armour or metal sheath or both, suitable for use as a protective conductor, or be of insulated concentric construction.....

:confused:

Wrong.

Oh dear.

522.8.10 - Except where installed in a conduit or duct which provides equivalent protection against mechanical damage, a cable buried in the ground shall incorporate an earthed armour or metal sheath or both, suitable for use as a protective conductor, or be of insulated concentric construction.....

:confused:

I am informed what I have done is correct ... armour cable is used below ground from house and pops up behind the rear face of wall ... it's then terminated off (in suitable IP66 box to HiTuff which is used to feed the lights.

Therefore technically it's above ground level.

Also the whole point of HiTuff is that is has a second outer protective sheath .. this is not soft PVC but as hard as conduit.
The whole cable runs inside it's own protective outer sheath.

It is below soil of the back fill, clipped to wall, and a good 1m+ above ground level.

I am informed what I have done is correct ...
I'm afraid you were informed by someone who didn't know what they were talking about.

armour cable is used below ground from house and pops up behind the rear face of wall ... it's then terminated off (in suitable IP66 box to HiTuff which is used to feed the lights.
Is that box buried?

Therefore technically it's above ground level.
Don't be ridiculous - of course it isn't - the level of the ground goes up on the other side of the wall. The cable is without doubt buried in the ground.

Also the whole point of HiTuff is that is has a second outer protective sheath .. this is not soft PVC but as hard as conduit.
No it isn't.

The whole cable runs inside it's own protective outer sheath.
Not one which complies with the regulations.

It is below soil of the back fill, clipped to wall, and a good 1m+ above ground level.
It is not above the level of the ground where it is buried.

It doesn't matter how much you try and wriggle with some nonsensical definition of "ground level" - you have an inappropriate cable directly buried in the ground. It is in contravention of the wiring regulations and as such any EIC issued for it is fake.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back