Brick Lights - leccy Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a number of these lights to fit ... 9
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GLBRICK.html

The bricks have been left out at appropriate places in the wall runs.

The cable has been run into place and looped in and out of the holes ... 3 lights per run ... 3 runs of it, so for each run the cable runs to first light, loops onto the 2nd etc.
I used HiTuf: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HT1dot5slash3.html

Issue is the physical entry of cable into the aluminium back box ... the box has 14mm holes fitted with rubber grommets, but these are way to small to take HiTuf ..

All the glands I have looked at that would take the cable would require a huge hole to be drilled in either side of box and in any event the glands are physically too big .. and would not allow box to fit in the brick space.

An option could be to remove the hard outer sheath and try to only take the inner more flexible cable 7.5mm o.d. into the box.
Fit a simple grommet ... but can't find one for sale anywhere that would fit the existing 14mm hole, and once fitted will be a good fit for a 7.5mm diam cable.

The hard outer sheath would only be removed within the wall 'cavity' so does not really impact protcetion.

Sponsored Links
Use the correct gland for hituf - you may have to buy or borrow a 20mm hole cutter (not that big really). Can you knock out a piece of brick to get the gland in at the side? Alternatively, is there room in the fitting to fit a gland at the back?

a 20mm hole cutter is not the problem ... the issue is that these are designed to fit in a one brick format hole .... if you fit any gland they will not fit in that space ...
I did contact TLC they dod not stock any HiTuf glands ... nor could offer any solution for this

Can you not just chisel out a bit of a surrounding brick to fit the gland in - since it will be 'inside' the wall nobody will see it so there should be no asthetic issues...

Sponsored Links
Could you get away with using a trouser box to terminate the hi-tuf with a short flex out into the light?

can't use those glands ... as previoulsy explained .. they stick out of the casing by about 50mm ... and the casing only has limited clearance around it on a standard brick opening ... simply won't go into opening with glands fitted.
Probaly why they come with a simply grommet entry as standard.

Maybe I am back to idea of wiring up then sealing cable entry with silicone.

Didn't know that there was such a thing as a "hi-tuf gland" - wouldn't a normal compression one be the only option?

An NPT ¼" gland would fit the holes (Ø13.7mm) but probably wouldn't take that size cable....

Didn't know that there was such a thing as a "hi-tuf gland" - wouldn't a normal compression one be the only option?

An NPT ¼" gland would fit the holes (Ø13.7mm) but probably wouldn't take that size cable....

I tried all the standard nylon glands ... they all stick out too much from the side of the back casing ... and won't allow fitting in the opening ... guess that is why they fit grommets as standard.

Perhaps I will have to try again to find suitable grommet

I tried all the standard nylon glands ... they all stick out too much from the side of the back casing ... and won't allow fitting in the opening ... guess that is why they fit grommets as standard.

Perhaps I will have to try again to find suitable grommet

If it is a double skin wall (sorry not a builder so correct me if I am wrong), then cant you just chissell out the back of the light to take a trouser box screw it into the wall then run a peace of flex to the lights? I have seen the lights you are talking about and that method I described above is the method I have used, there is no neatness required as no one will see it. Generally builders I have worked with have left me at least another brick behind the light for termination etc ot at least some space. Can you take a photo so we can take a look?

Adam

Adam

Is there room in the fitting to install the glands backwards, i.e. with the locknut on the outside?

What about fitting the glands backwards, with the thread on the outside? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back