Brick Pier - Does it need steel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seems mad - ! Hoping some experience can help.
Got a wooden pedestrian gate about 115cm wide and 180 high.
I can pick it up by myself.

I'm replacing the 100mm x 100mm wooden post it was hung on with a 2-brick pier. Actually it will be solid, with 8 bricks per course.

I've read in a few places that I need steel reinforcement. A steel in the foundations, hinges welded to it etc etc... this isn't a big steel driveway gate. Too much?

Will this pier put up with a gate slamming and strong winds for the next 20 years?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Doing a 45mm pour just below ground level then engineering bricks. Another builder friend that was going to do an 8 brick now says it should have a steel to prevent it falling. Maybe .akes the job quicker too?

If I do go for a steel does it need coating, do you know?

Sponsored Links
Sorry :confused:
45cm
2 foot deep pour to about 3 inches below ground level for 2 courses of engineering bricks.

Solid pour for and between the two pillars.

If the ground at 600mm is suitable then OK.

The pad should ideally be wider than the pier too - 100-200mm wider

If the ground at 600mm is suitable then OK.

The pad should ideally be wider than the pier too - 100-200mm wider

Thanks. Does steel need treating in some way? Thinking I beam or just some square section.

Out of interest what is the laying pattern of the 8 brick course? or what is the pier dims?
Depends which bond you use. English would be header, closer, header, closer, header.
This ties all the brickwork.

If the pier is freestanding it doesn't sound unexpected that you'd need some reinforcement in it. You can have a considerable wind loading at the top of a closed panel gate but you'll have hardly any weight holding the bricks in place and a standard mortar mix is weak, so what's going to resist the turning moment?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back