Brick wall not quite plumb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have put up a brick wall for a single storey extension I am building myself. Somehow or other I have managed to build one corner slightly out of plumb - its about 15mm leaning outwards at the top at one corner. Is this a big problem, or nothing to worry about?

It's approaching 3m high - the first 1m is dead plumb, but I must have used a wonkey level when checking the top half (or had wonkey eyes!)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It's not ideal, but as long as the outer leaf is tied to the inner leaf it won't be a problem. Even without being tied in the self weight of the wall will fall well within the middle third.
Maybe it can be made to look plumb by varying the render thickness from bottom to top (although I guess you don't want to render it as it's been built from brick?).

Thanks. Yeah its all tied to the inner blockwork - the corner only has a tiny (30cm) return as then straight into a doorway (probably how it ended up with the lean as I was using to level to ensure the doorway was level and probably slightly pushed the other side out).

Won't be rendering as keeping brickwork finish - to be honest you can't see it by eye, only when I put a laser on it. Also helps that it's straight onto a large hedge which actually hides the corner from view.

Sponsored Links
15mm in 3m isn't much - there are 60's houses that are 5/8" out in 9'10" and they are the good ones;)

Nige, I think your example makes the OP's worse :(

Have a look at NHBC guidelines; you can usually get away with murder!

We built an extension onto a modern-ish house built around the mid 90's. They must have used brickies profiles on the corners because they tapered in, up near the eaves by 20mm+ on each of the corners.
We had to marry into these corners and from off the scaffold it looked awful.
The existing building was 45mm narrower at the top than it should be.
It was a nightmare setting out the wall plates though not as problematic due to the fact it was a hip roof extension with trusses as opposed to cut roof.
The taper or twist in the wall was taken up with a tapering soffit etc so the roof line remained square.

So, 15mm out is not a problem, just a wee bit lazy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back