Bricking a window up - Help if possible

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys and girls,

I was hoping for a little bit of help in regards to a garage window that we are looking at bricking up and getting rid of.

I am happy with the bricking and doing that, but I am a little lost with the bricks at the top which I guess is where the lintel is.

Is it best to remove these bricks and lintel? Or should I leave it there and just brick where the window was?

Any help or advice would be very much grateful.

Thank you

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0629.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0629.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 125
  • thumbnail_IMG_0630.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0630.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 153
  • thumbnail_IMG_0631.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0631.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 145
Sponsored Links
If you think the lintel could corrode and swell then it's best off gone. Easiest is to leave it in.

You might have a concrete lintel on the inner skin, and nothing but the frame holding the outer skin, with a lead or similar tray above the soldier course.
The lintel could be 6x6 inches so it needs a tray as it bridges the cavity.

Sponsored Links
Leave them in. You're going to have a window-shaped patch of new bricks regardless, so it wont matter visually as well as structurally.

You could set the new brickwork back slightly and make a feature as some new builds do to copy the old window tax ones.

Can you get the same bricks, and can you take out the half bricks, and the knit the new ones in; if you do that, then I'd take out the soldier course. If you use an angle grinder to take out the solider course, then you might get away without using a strong boy to hold up the centre of the upper courses.

OK Sherlock. :oops:

Heathers and bonded in it is then.

Soldier removal optional. If you take out about 700mm of the soldiers at a time and lay the bricks, then you wont need to support the brickwork above

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back