Bricking up chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a Victorian terrace that has had the rear chimney breast removed at some point in the past. The stack has also been removed so no issues with support etc.

I'm in the process of re-doing the kitchen (ground floor) and have discovered the void where the old breast was had been covered with plasterboard rather than bricked up which will not be ideal for fixing kitchen cabinets to.

I've pulled off the plasterboard and it was attached to a sketchy looking wooden frame which at the top seems to be supporting one course of the wall above.

The void is the width of a brick so I figured the easiest option would be to brick it up and render/plaster over.

I've also just broken out the concrete hearth underneath. Under the concrete just appears to be compacted soil/rubble surrounded by a brick wall down to ground leve which the joists rest onl.

My question is what is the best thing to support the new brickwork on?

Should I dig down and pour some concrete to lay the bricks on - also tying them into the wall behind? If so, how deep should I go down with the concrete?

The other option I thought of is to build a somewhat better wooden frame and in-fill with bricks much like other partition walls in the house. I guess
I could knock out a couple of bricks either side of the void at the bottom and set in the bottom part of the frame to provide support. I could pack the soil back up underneath so it's sitting on something.

I've never done anything like this before so it's all a bit new so any advice/ideas/suggestions would be gratefully received!

Many thanks,

Justyn

Sponsored Links
Remove all the framing and plaster board. Be cautious of loose bricks.
Clean off all the edges of the surrounding plastered wall. I'm assuming no dot & dab plasterboard, & no sooty brickwork.

Are the joist tails sitting on the fender wall free from earth contact, and are they rot free?

You could dig out all the earth and rubble to one brick course below the joist tails. Lay a piece of plastic on the excavated surface, and simply begin bricking up off the plastic sheet. No need to tie the bricks in just fill all voids with mortar as the courses go up.
Rake out the beds to give a key for plaster.

Make up some framing to pick up the new floor boards.

Thanks for the reply.

If I build up from the earth without anything solid underneath won't it be a bit unstable?

Thanks,

Justyn

If I build up from the earth without anything solid underneath won't it be a bit unstable?
In a nut shell, YES.
Clear 100mm of sh*t out of area inside fender wall, lay lump of poly and 100mm concrete Work of that.
Or chop a composite 100x75 pre stressed lintel 100mm into each jamb as low as possible and work of that.
If you are using blocks, screw a frame cramp in every other course to tie in.
Regards oldun

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back