Bricking up full height window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Im going to be bricking up the bottom half of a full height window, A false wall was built inside the property years ago to cover this bottom half of the window so the bricks will be single skin toothed into the existing wall. With regards to rising damp we have a dpc. Im a little concerned over rain though and want to ensure we don't suffer with penetrative damp.

The existing false wall is 100mm away from were the new wall will sit. Am i best off leaving this as an open cavity and sealing this single skin of bricks with a liquid dpc or membrane with battens and cellotex/Kingspan or is there any better ways. Building a proper cavity wall would require ripping my living room to pieces and isn't an option right now.

Any help is appreciated here im a little lost which is best way to go

Sponsored Links
Confused?

Sounds to me like you are describing a standard cavity wall...? Why are you worried about penetrative damp? If there is a problem with the existing floor bridging the cavity or some such, then either remove the floor and reinstate the trough or use a broad DPC and chase it into an internal course or two up from FFL, thus creating a cavity tray.

Fill the 100mm cavity(?) with dritherm batts.

Confused?

Sounds to me like you are describing a standard cavity wall...? Why are you worried about penetrative damp? If there is a problem with the existing floor bridging the cavity or some such, then either remove the floor and reinstate the trough or use a broad DPC and chase it into an internal course or two up from FFL, thus creating a cavity tray.

Fill the 100mm cavity(?) with dritherm batts.

As the false wall is made of a wooden frame with regular plasterboard infront. Its not brick and it isnt a cavity as my floor screed is at the bottom. Were is there for water run off if the bricks turn into sponges from wind forced rain over the winter? This face of house does take a bit of a battering over winter time. This is my only worry about potential trapped moisture behind this brickwork.

Rising damp we won't have any issues with as the Dpc will do its job.

The insulation should be within the studwork of the timber wall, the cavity facing side lined with 9mm ply and breather membrane.. the new brickwork should be tied into studwork with frame fixings. Insert weep vents into brickwork to keep cavity dry.

Sponsored Links
The insulation should be within the studwork of the timber wall, the cavity facing side lined with 9mm ply and breather membrane.. the new brickwork should be tied into studwork with frame fixings. Insert weep vents into brickwork to keep cavity dry.

Any advantage of 9mm ply and membrane over foil lined plasterboard? It's something iv seen often recommended

Foil lined plasterboard to room side, ply and membrane to cavity, the membrane protects the ply and stud from moisture.

Kingspan is in the stud wall, brick wall is up. Cavity bottom has an old carpet gripper in I forgot to remove. Cleaned up as much debris as I could.

Have I missed anything here or is this good to go?
IMG_20221008_104519.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back