Bricking up a window (with photo's)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have several windows to brick up (see photo). The walls are solid 9".

Is it OK to use a single skin of bricks?

On the internal walls I will be cladding them with kingspan, before covering with plasterboard. The gap between the single skin of bricks and the Kingspan will not be visible once boarded over.

I cant see any point in filling the hole with 9" worth of brick.

Also, I've seen these wall starters which I could screw to either side of the opening( see photo). The only problem I see with these, is they will leave vertical mortar lines along the outside of the brickwork.

Will this look terrible and DIYish? The window is along side an enclosed pathway, so not easily visible.

Is the alternative to 'tooth in' to the existing brickwork?

Finally, Could I use a Bricky tool to help me brick up my windows?
Sorry for all the questions but never done any brickwork before.

brick04.jpg

p1576025_l.jpg

flatwindow6tj.jpg
[/URL]

Sponsored Links
Hi mate im not a brickie or builder but i have done similar things to what you are trying to do. I would use bricks for the outside and then thermalite block which are easy to cut and shape.

I would use the ties which screw into the existing wall they are like a screw with a hook on the end. With these you wont have a vertical joint like you said.

you could also knockout the half bricks at the window and "key" the new bricks into the wall. but i would definately use thermalite on the inside.

Just keep the level on everything and use a line.

maybe you can buy some chap bricks and build a small practice wall.

One thing i will say is that a bricklayer will have that done in 2 hours at the most and will look a lot neater from the outside (you will probably have mortar all over the bricks) like me but all my work is internal and behind plaster.

just try a few practice bricks and see how you get on. But i would probably get a brickie in

Cheers

Andy

Cheers for the reply

I wonder if I can get away without the thermalite blocks as I'll be putting up thick Kingspan insulation boards on the inside anyway.

I've seen the bricky tool in operation at one of the shows and it looks pretty simple to put up a wall. One of the most important features is it minimises mortar waste/mess.

The ties you mention sound like a good option.

Is Tony Blair re-introducing window tax by any chance:cool:

Sponsored Links
nstreet said:
Is Tony Blair re-introducing window tax by any chance:cool:

Not as far as I know but then who know's what Mr Brown has planned :eek:

I'm a combination of a DIYer who is prepared to take on anything and a Kevin McCloud type with a 'vision', EQUALS plenty of changes :)

Those look like lovely Art Deco windows like on Poirot......you should be ashamed of vandalising your fenestration :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back