Bricking up very small 40cm x 40cm window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The window in question is a small 40*40cm window which just needs bricking up in a cavity wall construction (council house 1940s/50s).

How would you tackle this, would it be best to tie into the existing brick work by knocking the half bricks out at either side, and what would you use for insulation in such a small space?

Let me know if you need anymore info on this.

Sponsored Links
The window in question is a small 40*40cm window which just needs bricking up in a cavity wall construction (council house 1940s/50s).

How would you tackle this, would it be best to tie into the existing brick work by knocking the half bricks out at either side, and what would you use for insulation in such a small space?

Let me know if you need anymore info on this.
In spite of the fact that the opening is small, it does not lessen the faff factor. If it's going to be seen, then you need to tooth out every half brick up each side and remove any returned internal block or brick jambs. Make sure that the brick bond runs true before doing so. Many times we have found doorway sized openings, greater than four bricks wide and have had to fit closures etc.
Insulate with a Dritherm cavity batt.
Keep your fingers crossed that the cavities are not filled with loose poly beads. If they are, have some Dritherm handy to stuff into the cavity to prevent leakage.

If you bond it in, it will still stand out and be noticeable despite all the harder work and care required.

Do it straight joists up the edge, and set the bricks back 15mm or so, and be sure to use bricks of the same guage as existing. I wouldn't bother with any ties to the sides but you could bang a galvanised or masonry nail in half way up in a bed joint if you like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back