Making a normal window taller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In my kitchen is a little (boarded up on the inside) window about 40cm wide and 60cm tall. It's pretty knackered, from what I can see on the outside.

I would like to replace it with a non-opening one, same width, but right down to the floor.

Two considerations I can think of:

1. Will I need planning permission? It is on the side of the house, facing next door. Already 4 other windows on that face, including the large kitchen window almost right next to it.

2. Can it be done just by removing the existing window and the bricks below it? i.e. is the size of lintel required affected by the height of the hole, or just its width?

Sponsored Links
1. Will I need planning permission? It is on the side of the house, facing next door. Already 4 other windows on that face, including the large kitchen window almost right next to it.
Highly unlikely unless you live in a conservation area.

2. Can it be done just by removing the existing window and the bricks below it? i.e. is the size of lintel required affected by the height of the hole, or just its width?

Yes it can be done and the lintelling arrangement will be unaffected. You still need to ensure that the masonry below is serving no other purpose.

Highly unlikely unless you live in a conservation area. You will need to install obscured glazing.

Yes it can be done and the lintelling arrangement will be unaffected. You still need to ensure that the masonry below is serving no other purpose, or that by removing the masonry you are not putting stress on the surrounding masonry.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both.
You still need to ensure that the masonry below is serving no other purpose, or that by removing the masonry you are not putting stress on the surrounding masonry.
What other purpose might it have?

Chukka63 said:
laminated,toughened glass will be needed.
Is that because it'll need to take forces due to removing the masonry, or because it needs to be strong enough in case it gets kicked, being at floor level?

If there was say a door opening directly beneath the window opening, or any other vulnerable structural arrangement, i would be cautious that's all.

The glass needs to be toughened because of its (close) proximity to finished floor level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back