Making new opening for window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im buying a house and i want to know if i could put another window in the side of the house on the 2nd floor this would make it so i can split the bedroom into 2 bedrooms.

The house does have 2 windows facing the same side on the first floor.

The house has about 6 meters of land to the side of the house where id want to fit the window so its not very close to the house next door but it would point towards the next doors house they dont have any windows on the side of the house looking towards me.

So if i could do it, is it a very expensive job? The house is about 100 years old so have very tall windows but they dont go all the up to the soffits like on a newer house.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I suspect you would need Planning Permission to do this. You may not perceive it as overlooking but your neighbour may. Have you spoken with your neighbour? It would be unwise to do this without at least checking if it is required or not.

Ive not moved into the property yet and live 60 miles away from it at the moment, this is really planning for the future as its only 2 bedrooms and we only have 1 child (but you know what wife's are like).

This would be the only way to make it into a 3 bedroom house, unless you could use a skylight from the loft, into the bedroom from above but no good for safety and doubt it would get passed as a bedroom but i did see it in a house i was working in, the bathroom also got its light from there too.

Leeds council (where i live now) on there website says it would have to be obscure glass but thats no good for a bedroom.

Ok ive started to look into if i can put a window in the side.

The next question i want to know is, how hard it is to actually put a new window opening into a wall?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back