New bathroom window in side wall.

Fire rated windows are about 4 to 5 times the cost of a regular window. Often remotely supplied. You will need a certificate to provide to BC. Huge faff. That's going to be a fun scaffold especially if the neighbour objects.

Sponsored Links
I wonder how many fires spread outside bathroom windows in the past 5 years...

Thanks everyone for your help and input. I’m sure I’ll have some questions later!

however to comply with fire regs you need a sprinkler system installed because of the boundary line.
Never heard that. And the only reason i know about this rule is that our extension was close to the boundary and it might have affected it, however it turned out to be 1.1m away so it wasn't an issue. This was in 2016 so nothing to do with grenfell.
The whole house is probably one compartment so if the fire is anywhere in the house it is in the bathroom as well from the fire point of view.

Anyway i think the consensus is it's fine just keep it below 1m² which shouldn't be an issue.

Sponsored Links
I know that’s why when you mentioned the fire regs in England I’d double check, thanks. I lot of changes in building works regarding new fire regs some I’d come across and some like this I haven’t.
Ok (y) ,but as others are saying I wasn't aware of this sprinkler option in this situation.

Fire rated windows are about 4 to 5 times the cost of a regular window. Often remotely supplied. You will need a certificate to provide to BC. Huge faff. That's going to be a fun scaffold especially if the neighbour objects.
Yes, it makes you wonder if it is really worth bothering in this instance.

Quite a few at Grenfell if any bathrooms were on outside walls ,but who knows, the point is there has to be some control over the risk of fire spread from one property to another.

Another point to consider ,if the window is say 900mm wide by 1050mm high it could open over the boundary in this case if the wall is only 750mm from the boundary. :!:

It’s strange that we are so far behind the Welsh. Sprinkler systems on new build since 2016.

It’s strange that we are so far behind the Welsh. Sprinkler systems on new build since 2016.
Depends whether you think sprinkler systems in houses are a good thing, I would rather a house met fire safety standards without having to have a sprinkler system installed.

Quite a few at Grenfell if any bathrooms were on outside walls ,but who knows, the point is there has to be some control over the risk of fire spread from one property to another.
This house seems to be build of bricks, unlike grenfell built of hay.
Now i wonder if a brick can act as a combustible material in a house fire, in a bathroom, well known place to catch fire...

I agree with your overall point but actually all bathrooms were internal in the original layout of grenfell, it was only kitchens, living rooms, bedrooms on external walls. However the important point for the 1m² rule is there were no other nearby buildings to be affected by fire spread, it actually spread over the surface of the walls.
Another point to consider ,if the window is say 900mm wide by 1050mm high it could open over the boundary in this case if the wall is only 750mm from the boundary. :!:
I thought that might have been your original point about the fixed shut back at the start!

Now i wonder if a brick can act as a combustible material in a house fire, in a bathroom, well known place to catch fire...
It isn't about bricks ,it is about opening windows near the boundary . I can confirm that bricks are not regarded as combustible materials :!:

I agree with your overall point but actually all bathrooms were internal in the original layout of grenfell, it was only kitchens, living rooms, bedrooms on external walls. However the important point for the 1m² rule is there were no other nearby buildings to be affected by fire spread, it actually spread over the surface of the walls.
My comment about Grenfell was a bit sarcastic :!: I know the reason for the rule we are talking (y)
I thought that might have been your original point about the fixed shut back at the start!
No ,as regards fixed shut , there is no point the window being fire resisting if it is open.
An open window hanging over the boundary was just another point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back