Bricklaying - cement problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I laid several courses of bricks some days ago. I'm not seeing any curing or drying taking place. No bloom, nothing. In fact, the cement is still sodden and appears to have turned to nothing more than wet sand.

I used the right mix, so what's gone wrong? The only thing I can think of is that the bag of cement that I used was a bit old. Does cement go bad?

Sponsored Links
Cement sacks do have a use-by date printed on them, providing you store it well you can usually get away with going a little past this date, if moisture got into it prior to mixing it would tend to be obvious with lumps visible etc. Could also be frost causing a problem if you failed to cover the work.

What mix did you use, and how wet was it, and what type of sand was used. I've used cement well past it's use by date, and find that as long as it hasn't gone solid, it'll usually mix up well - don't know what the long term situation is though.

Two other things that will slow setting down are : Using bricks that are wet and sand that has a high clay content.
I bought sand direct from a river dredging company, it took three days to set and that was on internal walls.
litl

Sponsored Links
And if it is really cold it'll delay curing. Hope you haven't done what I did a while ago (think a bag of dry premixed mortar was cement- mixed it up at 4:1, did 6 courses of a chimney, wondered why it was a bit soft, put my glasses on and looked at the bag again. Oops :) )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back