Bricks showing through old render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1930s house, which I've lived in for 2 years. It was rendered, I'm guessing at least 20 years ago. In the last few months I've noticed that in one (south east) facing wall the bricks are showing through the render (you may be able to see in the photo). This has definitely not been an issue before this year. There's no new cracks or anything of note that could have let water in, so I'm just wondering why it would suddenly happen, and also whether there's anything I can do? If I painted it, would it show through?
9yLvgVW

Sponsored Links
It's quite hard to show in a photo...basically you can only see the bricks showing through in certain lights - in direct sunlight you can't see them at all. I'm just a bit worried that if we paint over it, they'll just come through again. I think it's called ghosting.

Sponsored Links
If it was rendered 20 years ago it’s in good nick. Ghosting is a strange one to diagnose. It’s all to do with salts and drying processes within buildings. Yours from the photo just looks like it’s ready for lick of paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back