Brickwork on foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a kitchen side infill extension and so far have moved drainage, dug footings and filled with concrete. I am now digging the over site down to the concrete foundation level. What is the best form of construction for the first few courses of bricks/blocks? Should I use engineering bricks straight on to the concrete footing? Or should I use concrete blocks first? What is best?

Sponsored Links
You can use any bricks or blocks in the ground, but change to a class a or b engineering brick for the 150mm above ground and the first 225mm below the surface on the external face.

Blocks are cheaper and quicker. Bricks if your foundations are not level.

Thanks Woody. Another question... When preparing the oversite, should this be level with or dug out to below the top of the concrete footings? I am having a suspended timber floor which will eventually be approx 500mm above the finished oversite.

Ideally the oversite should be higher than your external ground levels, epecially in areas with a high water table, or have it laid to fall to a drainage system.

Sponsored Links
It may be difficult setting the oversite higher than the external ground levels - you won't fit the floor joists in!

Higher than the water table is more like it, but perhaps hard to work out.

I don't think it matters, as the ventilation will deal with humidity. Economically, the less sleeper walls the greater the cost saving, but if there are none, then any random depth will do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back