Brickwork opening for new composite door, trapping door frame behind bricks...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a builder currently sorting a brick opening and will be fitting a composite door into the opening. The aim is to have the inside hallway as wide as possible as going to squeeze a small wc into the hallway, which means trying to put the new door as far left to the inside wall as possible.

There is a pillar that supports a porch type roof, initially the builder thought it was ok to cut down the pillar with the aim of being able to install the new door further left and leave more space in hallway, this was what as agreed at part of the agreed price. However, now the builder says this wouldn't be a good idea and that it would be better to just remove the inner leaf of the brickwork, and install the composite door so that it sits behind the outer leaf brickwork slightly, with the door being plastered upto on the inside. This way, the pillar doesn't need to be cut on the outside and the job will look better he advises, as well as not risking any movement so to the porch roof. He has already removed some of the inner leaf of brickwork to allow the new door frame to be butted up against it, with the outer leaf not being touched as of yet.

I am a bit worried about putting the door behind the brickwork, as if it ever needed to be changed it would mean hacking out a lot of plaster from the inside to free the door enough to remove it. I am also not sure whether removing the extra bricks on the outer leaf would be any risk to the small roof its supporting as there are many other spots its supported anyway. I have a feeling he just doesn't want to cut the outer brickwork as its just more work for him, and essentially the door would be fitted in the same place either way, the only difference being that leaving the outer leaf would block the door from being removed easily and would require a massive amount of internal plaster damage if ever required.

So, any advice on how to tackle the job and do this the best way would be appreciated.

gqLJj1O.jpg

OvUKxSG.jpg

DoKlZ2I.jpg

0TaPqWD.jpg

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with that idea. The frame should never need to be changed, and the door could be changed easily if need be.

If the door set needs changing, it can be cut and pulled inwards on itself.

A new door and frame can be madr slighyly smaller, saving the need to re plaster.

Houses with render on the outside have door and windows trapped between render and internal plaster.

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with that idea. The frame should never need to be changed, and the door could be changed easily if need be.

Cheers, im probably over thinking it.
So is it possible to leave the frame in and put in a new composite door slab to the existing if ever required? I was under the impression that compo doors and frames always came togeher

If the door set needs changing, it can be cut and pulled inwards on itself.

A new door and frame can be madr slighyly smaller, saving the need to re plaster.

Houses with render on the outside have door and windows trapped between render and internal plaster.

Thanks Notch, so do you think im worrying over nothing then and then builders plan is ok? Just want to make sure we do it right while we have the chance to change things now.
I hadnt thought about houses with render - good point.

Yes, its fine in terms of the door.

The left hand side is a solid 9" brick return. No cavity so a vertical dpc will be needed.

Yes, its fine in terms of the door.

The left hand side is a solid 9" brick return. No cavity so a vertical dpc will be needed.

Cheers. Im not that familiar with DPC, i have seen a black membrane on the side of window opening brickwork, is that the same as a vertical DPC?

Please see the pics below which show the opposite side where the WC is going, am I right in thinking the vertical DPC goes where I have marked. And would it go in both sides?

ewWLFXy.jpg

mcm4ep3.jpg

You dont need it on the side with the new cavity wall because the external brick is separated from the internal blockwork and a cavity closure will close the end and prevent plaster from touching any external wall.

The other side does need a vertical dpc as all that wall is external. Ideally it needs a thermal break as well, but prob not important as its an unheated porch.

Personally Id be tempted to finish the wall with something other than bonding plaster.

Thanks very helpful advice.
Any ideas of what else could be used to finish internally other than bonding ?

Thanks very helpful advice.
Any ideas of what else could be used to finish internally other than bonding ?

Tile battens with foil backed plasterboard.
Or Sand / cement render with SBR and multi finish skim coat.
Or a bit of tanking.

If your builder is confident he can install a complete damp proof, then it doesnt matter. Bonding plaster soaks up any damp, so if you cant be 100% sure use something that wont show a damp patch.

Door has gone in today, I havnt opened it yet as dont have the key so have only seen the outside. I think everything looks ok the way its been fitted, I can see a plastic packer has been used between the door frame and the cill but not sure if this is ever going to cause any issues. Comments welcome as if i need to address anything its best i do it now before its sealed up.

LUs5Ymh.jpg

v1iFkQt.jpg

hSt65pG.jpg

TAKj4sT.jpg

SZBr1Tu.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back