Brickwork spalled below DPC resolutions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first post on this great site so please be gentle.
Recently moved into 1930 house with original bitumen DPC. A lot of the brick work below DPC is spalled.
The paving round the house is in good order, but it's butted up to the house walls (below DPC).
Should we remove some paving to let the walls breathe?
How much spalling is acceptable before we have to intervene and replace?
Trying to tread gently and preserve the best of the old if we can.
Your advice and information greatly received.

Sponsored Links
Lowering/moving the paving is unlikely to make much difference as the bricks will always remain wet, though admittedly to a slightly lesser extent.

Long-term, best solution is to cut out decayed bricks and replace with frost-resistant bricks.

Thank you tony1851. I didn't fancy disrupting good paving, so if it's not going to make much difference I'll leave it alone.
Some of the bricks have the bitumen painted on top ie DPC. How are these replaced to keep DPC sound?

Sponsored Links
No. On the top woody. You can see the bitumen line peeping out between the courses. If a spalled brick is taken out in the DPC layer it will cause a breach, so wondering how this is dealt with.

Hi Dai 100
Since this post the spalled bricks have been taken out and I had blue engineering bricks put in which have waterproof properties. Hopefully they will mitigate the spots where bitumen lost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back