Bricky too wide?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there!

I'm going to have a go at building a small 9" thick wall in the back garden. I was thinking of buying a 'Bricky' plastic contraption thing as it would probably help me do a neater job.

I've seen it on the telly but it seems to be too wide to use on a 9" wall because of the overhang. Could anyone who's used one tell me if it's suitable for this purpose.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
i'd have a go at doing it conventionally. as long as u take your time u will be able to make a good enough job for a garden wall. u will need to read up on it first and have a few tries just with wet sand to get the hang of it.

i know it's probably a bit ott but worth a thought i went to college night school to learn and really enjoyed it as well as the brickying.

i'd have a go at doing it conventionally. as long as u take your time u will be able to make a good enough job for a garden wall. u will need to read up on it first and have a few tries just with wet sand to get the hang of it.

i know it's probably a bit ott but worth a thought i went to college night school to learn and really enjoyed it as well as the brickying.

txt speak. :evil:

txt speak. :evil:
yea :evil: :evil:

Sponsored Links
Its called a 'brickies mate'.
What annoys me about this is that a 'bricklayer' would not be a bricklayer if he couldn't spread sufficient mortar to leave a 10mm bed when brick's are tapped down. No bricky should use these horrible things.

I would advise you stick to the trowel, it's how all other brickies started and it's the best way.

Set your ends up using a line and level.
When setting your first bricks up on mortar measure from the ground the height+10mm. Do this both ends and get your line on and away you go!

I think the hardest part is getting started and getting the compo right

It's been some time since I posted my question above, and since then I have built a number of walls and even a garage. In fact I now feel confident and capable of building any sort of wall.

However, I have to say that I couldn't have done it without the aid of a 'Bricky'.

In actual fact I didn't buy the bricky, but made a similar contraption with plywood. My version has been adapted and modified slightly and therefore is a bit more versatile than the original Bricky.

I intially had a go (as suggested) at doing it freehand, and it proved disasterous! The main problem I found was that I couldn't keep the face of the bricks clean of mortar, and so ended up with a structure that was structurely okay but very messy, and it also took me ages to do a small bit.

However after I started using my home made contraption, there was no messy brick facings, the job was neat and clean and it was much faster, and now I'm confident that I could build any kind of brick or block wall that I want.

So I would say that if (like me) you've no experience of any sort of brick work and you want to try it for yourself, either build yourself a 'bricky' or buy one.

Ps. Please Note: I didn't buy the 'Bricky' so have never used one and so cannot say for sure if it would work as well as the one I made.

Your homemade version sounds interesting. Got any pics or sketches of what you made? My carpentry skills are better than my brickying so I'd be interested in making one.

HRH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back