bridge cable

Sponsored Links
Never used one, but can't really imagine why you would want to.

USB is a crap interface for networking and you are pushing all the processing of the network packets onto the host computer rather than being dealt with on the network card.

Ethernet Network cards operate on a principle of Carrier Sense Multiple Access / Collision Detect (CDMA/CD), this means that all the network cards are listening to the wire and processing every packet that goes up and down it , even those not intended for it, only those packets that are destined for that computer are passed up to the main CPU for processing.
This is presumably why this "bridge" talks about a maximum of 17 connections.

Most modern motherboards come with a 10/100 NIC built on board, or you can pick one up for less than a fiver, so really can't see the benefit of this bit of kit.

Cheers
Merv

Most modern motherboards come with a 10/100 NIC built on board, or you can pick one up for less than a fiver, so really can't see the benefit of this bit of kit.

mine has however it is in use and no spare slots on mobo

i want to transfer files to another pc from this one

kevplumb said:

mine has however it is in use and no spare slots on mobo

i want to transfer files to another pc from this one

If it is in-use, then you are presumably connected to a network? Connect the other PC to the HUB this one is connected to and transfer away!

A bit more info on the setup of the 2 PCs in question would help. But i can be fairly certain that the USB bridge aint the answer!

Merv

Sponsored Links
If the file transfer is a one-off task perhaps you can use Direct Cable Connection. This is one of the Windows 9X components (look under communications in Add/Remove programs). I'm not sure whether it still exists in 2000/XP.

Kev, what's your network card connected to? I seem to remember you having a broadband router? If this is the case, do as Allenm suggests and connect the other PC to one of the spare router LAN ports.

Let us know what o/s you are running on both machines, but setup is pretty straight forward. (Even a plumber could do it :D )

the broadband modem is connected to usb

the pooter is connected to another through the network cable direct

no router

1 semperon 2600 windows xp pro 2 x 80 g hd 512 ram
2 amd 1g windows xp pro 40g hd 256 ram
3 intel 700m windows xp pro 2 x 10g hd 128 ram

Get yourself a cheap ethernet switch and a couple of patch cables and you can connect all 3 (or more). Alternatively, buy a combined dsl modem/router/switch and share all your resources.

Get yourself a cheap network HUB and connect them all to that.
Check on ebay, Broadband providers give the things away to subscribers now, so there are likely to be loads up for grabs.
Something like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11180&item=5781031623&rd=1

Or better still, ditch the USB modem and get yourself a broadband router that has a built-in firewall.

Either option will give you 4 ports so can can connect up your 3 computers and have a spare slot if you get another.

Getting a router will also mean that all 3 computers have access to the net via the broadband, as will a PS2 or XBOX if you've got one of they!

Cheers
Merv

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Is the network cable twisted pair (looks like telephone cable) or ethernet (looks like rather thin TV coax). If it's twisted pair - and it nearly always is these days - you'll need a network hub ir router like the others have been saying. Ethernet is easily extended with some extra coax and a tee piece. Shout up if you want to know how.

We have a few of these devices at work, they are simple to install and use and for the purpose of minimal fuss networking as and when you need it they are great. Get yourself a crossover cat5 or above network cable (if you are just hooking up two machines point to point) and you are away.

I think it's main use is like a memory stick Portability without resorting to networking say when wanting to quickly copy files off your works pc to your laptop especially if you don't have networking rights at your place of work.

Sponsored Links
Back