bridging a gap between two sides of laminate floored room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi peeps... I hope someone can give me some good advice as to what I should about this. I've included pictures so that you can see what the situation is.

I'd laid laminate flooring in my living room/dining area, and due to both 'room's being a different height, there's a gap in the middle between the two, as you can see:-

100_0468.jpg

100_0469.jpg

I've got a plank of wood that I'm using so it's a little less un-sightly, and I was hoping I could use it somehow to bridge the gap permanently. I'd obviously get it varnished a similar colour to the rest of the floor. Unless there are any other netter alternatives? Here is the wood:

100_0471.jpg

The trouble I'm having with the plank, is that the way the floor is, means it's not a straight-forward two height cut off... it's kinda gradual. Here's a pic I drew that shows it:

floor.gif

I hope someone can advise the best way forward for me.. as I'm a total DIY beginner. I just any solution that would look good.

Thanks a lot!

Sponsored Links
Nice colour!

Perhaps a reducer will do the trick?
If only in unfinished Oak, you can stain it in an appropriate colour (we normally do).

The trouble is that there's up to a 4inch gap at the widest point, so I'm not sure if a reducer would be wide enough. And there's the height difference to consider... will anything pre-cut in that way fit in nicely or adapt to the difference in height?

Cheers for the help mate. The colour is pretty nice. I'm not a big fan of the light coloured flooring, but my sister got me all this darker laminate wood for free as she works for MFI. Looks nice apart from the gap! :D

Another option would be to ask a local joinery to come up with a bespoke trim.
We have to do that on some occasions and 9 out of 10 times they come up with a perfect solution

Sponsored Links
if you have a router you could make one up yourself

5by 1" par rounded on the top edges 20mm rebate either side to cover the the various "wavy edges" :LOL: deeper if required
it would be a bit difficult to get the rebate angle match the flooring without a table but not toooo difficult

i take it the gap is purey for the trasitional slop between the levels

Yeah I tried that with the plank in the picture. It was just too hard to route the correct amount, so it's still uneven. And because of the ramped increase in height on the lower size, the laminate is sticking up slightly, so there's a gap between the plank and the floor on that side.

EDIT: Here's a picture of what I mean:-

floor2.gif

I realise I probably bothced up the flooring in the first place by leaving a gap that big, but it's done now. :([/img]

youve got to mimic the angle by securing a baton or two underneath to support the router at the correct angle

ok place you bit off wood on the table lift the edge off the wood up untill the same angle is reached as required on the floor
if you secure a batton underneath [towards the edge] that holds the wood at that angle
then a second bit off wood fixed underneath filling the gap at a point the router base will be supported on both bits but not in a position where the cutter will reach the battons

on the bottom edge it wont matter if the slot is parralel to the wood as this will be hidden

clear as mud eeehhh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back