Bridging inner and outer leaf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What brickwork or block pattern would be the best for bridging 2 leafs (on purpose) as an alternative to wall ties? For the moment just take for granted there are reasons for doing this and set aside any concerns about damp. The intent is that both walls would be load bearing. My proposal is sketched in the attachment but are there better ways using masonry? The smallest blue rectangles are offcuts.

I should also specify that regular sized units are used instead of say a catnic lintel.

Attachments

• 1677775864623.png
    1677775864623.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 28
Sponsored Links
How about Quetta bond? Although this requires long bricks to maintain a cavity. Although I suppose it still works with standard size bricks - you just end up with small voids.
1677786766118.png

Last edited:
No. Rat trap bond looks like it’s brick on edge with the headers fully spanning from one side to the other so the wall will be 215mm overall thickness. It forms a more complete (85mm) cavity though (had never heard of it until now).

Sponsored Links
That is interesting (quetta bond) though I may need to trim the bricks a bit. If I use standard size bricks as stretchers I think I can avoid continuous perps (no more than 2 courses) by staggering the pattern by half a brick in the same direction on each course

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back