Bristan 1901 taps - few months after fitting are dripping, fixes? alternatives?

25 Jun 2011
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I recently switched out the originally installed Bristan 1901 taps (which were probably as old as the house - 20 odd years) with some newer versions as they had started to make awful noise when used and started to stick, all went well enough and the new taps worked fine (although the water pressure around here is a bit fierce, so they can be a bit enthusiastic).

However, one of the taps (the most frequently used) has now started to drip endlessly - I can't imagine that something has gone wrong with the tap so soon, but thought it would be worth a check-in - are Bristan usually good quality? Are there alternatives that I could look at that could be more reliable? The taps were not cheap, but I had accepted the cost with the idea of a like-for-like swap being the most straightforward and worry-free fix.

Sponsored Links
You need to check your mains water pressure, if it's > 5 bar static you need to fit a pressure reducing valve and gauge on the mains.

Are the new ones 1/4 turn? Ceramic valves don't handle higher pressure as well as screw down conventional valves
Ah - yes, that's probably part of the issue they are 1/4 turn and did replace what was probably conventional valves.

On the mains pressure, that sounds like an idea, something best to get someone in to check? Just thinking I don't imagine I'll have anything for checking pressure... but the pressure is fairly fierce in comparison to other places I've lived, not so much in the shower, but when the washing machine fills for example, or the outside tap is fairly fierce too.

Would that not have been something that should have been dealt with when the house was first built? 20 years isn't that long ago...
Sponsored Links
Would that not have been something that should have been dealt with when the house was first built?
Not necessarily but if the pressure is that high then it should have been checked and sorted as best practice IMO.

Any reasonable plumber should be able to test the mains and fit a Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV)

If you wish you can buy a gauge from one of the sheds that will fit your outside tap - if it's a normal outside tap that is - and that will tell you what the static pressure is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local