British Gas 330+ boiler appears to be randomly heating the hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a nine year old 330+ that up until now functioned perfectly. But over the last two weeks I have noticed a weird issue that the system appears to be choosing random non programmed times to heat the hot water. Not every day, just some days.

I use a Tempus Seven Control panel which is over 20 years old. I also have a separate hot water tank but I have no idea whether that could also be heated by electricity.

I had the hot water turned off completely on the panel yesterday but the hot water started at about 11pm all the same. The only way I could get it to stop was by powering off the control panel via the switch by the hot water tank. Which I guess does point to the controller being the culprit.

The boiler has an "at rest" - i.e. not heating anything - temperature of 34 C. Does that sound correct? The boiler has been professionally serviced every year by a local plumber so I will be calling him in. But I would like to have an idea of what the problem could be first.

Photo of hot water boiler, showing the switch I pressed to power off the panel. Presumably it also powers the pump?

Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back