British Gas - Boiler Deals

BF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering changing my current boiler, an Ideal Classic NF40, which is over 15yrs old and getting British Gas to quote for a new one.

As a Homecare 200 member there are savings offered but I wondered what opinions the forum has on getting BG to do the install?

Also, am I likely to notice huge improvements in the economy of a new boiler compared to my current one?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
BG :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

BG deals will cost you ££££££££ :cry:

Also, am I likely to notice huge improvements in the economy of a new boiler compared to my current one?

Yes

Steer well clear. BG use contractors to do their installs and they will need paying along with a vast profit for BG. You have no choice with installer and it is a lottery as to how good they are. My advice is to use a local installer and get three separate quotes. Your BG insurance cover will remain in force once the new boiler is installed.
Steve

Somehow I knew there would be catches to the fabulous money I could save!!

Thanks for the feedback.

Sponsored Links
Your BG insurance cover will remain in force once the new boiler is installed.
Steve

only if the boiler is done properly with a benchmark filled out.

BG homecare is a complete waste of time and money, you get a warranty from the boiler manufacturer and the installer.

Avoid BG, they are overpriced and underskilled.

I am considering changing my current boiler, an Ideal Classic NF40, which is over 15yrs old and getting British Gas to quote for a new one.

As a Homecare 200 member there are savings offered but I wondered what opinions the forum has on getting BG to do the install?

Thanks

savings are likely to be between 20 and 40 percent if all is done well.
just have a look on the forum about people who had bg around.
personally, i like them; they bring me more customers than any other source.
they are also known as ****ish gas

Steer well clear. BG use contractors to do their installs and they will need paying along with a vast profit for BG. You have no choice with installer and it is a lottery as to how good they are. My advice is to use a local installer and get three separate quotes. Your BG insurance cover will remain in force once the new boiler is installed.
Steve

bg only use contractors wen their own installation teams are booked up and whats to say the random local private engineer is going to be any better than the contractor which bg do use? :confused: at least with bg ya got some comeback if anything goes wrong.
also your repair contract wont remain in force, they will have to check the new boiler is service listed and installed correctly. if the private firm makes any cock ups bg wont put it right free of charge.

personally i wouldn't rip out a classic just for the efficiency, they are really good reliable boilers!

Your BG insurance cover will remain in force once the new boiler is installed.
Steve

only if the boiler is done properly with a benchmark filled out.

BG homecare is a complete waste of time and money, you get a warranty from the boiler manufacturer and the installer.

Avoid BG, they are overpriced and underskilled.

I know there will be a warranty on the boiler for the first year but Im sure it wouldn`t cover 24hr call out would it?

Im not surprised that there will be many that have not received good service from BG but I have always found them reliable.

Its the same though with any major organisation - not everyone will receive great service.

Steve

bg only use contractors wen their own installation teams are booked up and whats to say the random local private engineer is going to be any better than the contractor which bg do use? :confused: at least with bg ya got some comeback if anything goes wrong.
also your repair contract wont remain in force, they will have to check the new boiler is service listed and installed correctly. if the private firm makes any cock ups bg wont put it right free of charge.

personally i wouldn't rip out a classic just for the efficiency, they are a really good reliable boilers!

This very true and I am so suspicious of getting in any tradesman because you hear so many horror stories.

The cowboys drag down the good honest tradesman with them.

My current boiler is situated in my kitchen and sits behind a kitchen door to disguise it.

Is it correct that this doesn`t meet current regulations and that the boiler should be on view without any obstruction?

I am so suspicious of getting in any tradesman because you hear so many horror stories.

You do understand who the people are on this forum, who are giving your their best advice don't you?

I am so suspicious of getting in any tradesman because you hear so many horror stories.

You do understand who the people are on this forum, who are giving your their best advice don't you?

Yes I do and I didn`t accuse anyone on here of being a disreputable tradesman.

I am very grateful for the advice that people on here provide.

I know there will be a warranty on the boiler for the first year but Im sure it wouldn`t cover 24hr call out would it?

no , it will not include 24 hour callout.
however, if and when you need someone to fix a problem, which is pretty unlikely if you get a worcester bosch installed properly, wb will send someone the next working day and he WILL fix the problem.
from many posts on the forum it appears that bg's first action is to send a trainee.
countless cases of having to wait days if not weeks until finally they send what they call a senior engineer.
and every time that means taking at least half a day off.

no , it will not include 24 hour callout.
however, if and when you need someone to fix a problem, which is pretty unlikely if you get a worcester bosch installed properly, wb will send someone the next working day and he WILL fix the problem.
from many posts on the forum it appears that bg's first action is to send a trainee.
countless cases of having to wait days if not weeks until finally they send what they call a senior engineer.
and every time that means taking at least half a day off.

ya seem to have forgot the op is already a bg homecare customer who is happy with the service he receives :LOL: so i doubt he'll believe that load of bull!
worcester will not fix any sys faults (such as leaking rads) which can happen wen a open vented sys is converted to a sealed sys. but if ya do get a new boiler you could always downgrade ya contract to only cover the rads and use the manufacturer to cover the boiler over the warranty period. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back