British Gas - Boiler Deals

no , it will not include 24 hour callout.
however, if and when you need someone to fix a problem, which is pretty unlikely if you get a worcester bosch installed properly, wb will send someone the next working day and he WILL fix the problem.
from many posts on the forum it appears that bg's first action is to send a trainee.
countless cases of having to wait days if not weeks until finally they send what they call a senior engineer.
and every time that means taking at least half a day off.

some evidence please :rolleyes:

seems to be more posts on here about independants lately :LOL:

and as op has pointed out he allready knows the score with us.

Sponsored Links
I know there will be a warranty on the boiler for the first year but Im sure it wouldn`t cover 24hr call out would it?

no , it will not include 24 hour callout.
however, if and when you need someone to fix a problem, which is pretty unlikely if you get a worcester bosch installed properly, wb will send someone the next working day and he WILL fix the problem.
from many posts on the forum it appears that bg's first action is to send a trainee.
countless cases of having to wait days if not weeks until finally they send what they call a senior engineer.
and every time that means taking at least half a day off.

ya seem to have forgot the op is already a bg homecare customer who is happy with the service he receives :LOL: so i doubt he'll believe that load of bull!
worcester will not fix any sys faults (such as leaking rads) which can happen wen a open vented sys is converted to a sealed sys. but if ya do get a new boiler you could always downgrade ya contract to only cover the rads and use the manufacturer to cover the boiler over the warranty period. ;)

I can only comment on BG as experienced, I can see from some of the responses that they are not everyone's cup of tea!

I live in Bedfordshire so if anyone knows of a reputable installer I would be very pleased to receive a name / number.

In my earlier post I enquired about my current boiler which is situated in my kitchen and sits behind a kitchen door to disguise it.

Is it correct that this doesn`t meet current regulations and that the boiler should be on view without any obstruction?

no, you can hide any boiler from view, provided you meet the manufacturer's instructions which ensure enough ventilation.

no, you can hide any boiler from view, provided you meet the manufacturer's instructions which ensure enough ventilation.

Thanks. Glad that is the case.

Looking at a lot of new build properties they all seemed to have the boilers on display.

Sponsored Links
the boiler prob req's compartment vents (for cooling purposes). is the top and bottom of the cupboard open? if it isn't and it hasn't got vents fitted its classed as ncs.

and generally its certain rgi's on this forum who really go out of their way to slate um at every chance and try to create a stereotype.. just look at other post you will see the same people saying the same rubbish

Looking at a lot of new build properties they all seemed to have the boilers on display.

why not?
if you look at how much it costs these days to get a good boiler properly installed, i would not want to hide it.

you keep your new car in front of the house, don't you?

why not?
if you look at how much it costs these days to get a good boiler properly installed, i would not want to hide it.

you keep your new car in front of the house, don't you?

For the same reason that I couldn`t have full surround sound! Wife doesn`t want unsightly speakers and, in the case of the kitchen, boiler on display!

the boiler prob req's compartment vents (for cooling purposes). is the top and bottom of the cupboard open? if it isn't and it hasn't got vents fitted its classed as ncs.

and generally its certain rgi's on this forum who really go out of their way to slate um at every chance and try to create a stereotype.. just look at other post you will see the same people saying the same rubbish

Yes the top and bottom are completely open. Its an empty cupboard and the door just hides the boiler.

What does NCS stand for?

Not to Current Standards, sounds ok to me.. what do they norm note down as not up to standard? is the door flush up to the boiler?

Not to Current Standard. A minor contravention.

I suppose we only hear the bad news about BG, but there's plenty of it. A customer called me last Friday. Gloworm Ultimate gone down. I could hear over the mobile that it was the pcb relay clacking away.
Yes, I carry single and double fuse type pcbs.
But customer has 3* cover and is told their engineer will call. Friday 5pm he arrives, yes, it needs a pcb, no, he doesn't carry one.
Next visit to be Monday. (Yesterday) Customer not happy, would rather not have no heat & no hot water over the weekend so asks about getting me. BG man obstreperous, saying they could cancel cover and not refund payment because customer would have broken the contract.
Customer moans. OK, they say, we'll get an angineer out Saturday AM.
Today is Monday. Phoned me at 7pm, still has no pcb.
BG promising tomorrow am.
Customer is a contracts lawyer, so I'll be watching!
I suppose BG will blame the weather, but I've had no trouble getting about.
it wouldn`t cover 24hr call out would it?
We're at 80 hours, and not done yet.

Not to Current Standard. A minor contravention.

I suppose we only hear the bad news about BG, but there's plenty of it. A customer called me last Friday. Gloworm Ultimate gone down. I could hear over the mobile that it was the pcb relay clacking away.
Yes, I carry single and double fuse type pcbs.
But customer has 3* cover and is told their engineer will call. Friday 5pm he arrives, yes, it needs a pcb, no, he doesn't carry one.
Next visit to be Monday. (Yesterday) Customer not happy, would rather not have no heat & no hot water over the weekend so asks about getting me. BG man obstreperous, saying they could cancel cover and not refund payment because customer would have broken the contract.
Customer moans. OK, they say, we'll get an angineer out Saturday AM.
Today is Monday. Phoned me at 7pm, still has no pcb.
BG promising tomorrow am.
Customer is a contracts lawyer, so I'll be watching!
I suppose BG will blame the weather, but I've had no trouble getting about.
it wouldn`t cover 24hr call out would it?
We're at 80 hours, and not done yet.

Ive obviously been quite fortunate so far.

Mind you, on reflection, I had a really loud noise everytime the water or heating clicked on. BG said that it was the central heating pipes that had furred up and the whole system would require flushing which they did not cover.

I did explain that if I clicked the pump off and on the noise would suddenly stop.

Anyway, we put up with the noise and then on one of our annual services BG sent a young bloke round who I told the story to.

He diagnosed it as a faulty pump, replaced it and hey presto no noise since!

Its been complete luxury not having that noise!

BG man obstreperous, saying they could cancel cover and not refund payment because customer would have broken the contract.

hes acock then. i just tell my customers if they want to pay for someone else to come in fine. just dont expect me to sort out someone elses ****up. of course most of our customers dont have a 'reliable' independant, hence sticking with us.

Quote - bg only use contractors wen their own installation teams are booked up and whats to say the random local private engineer is going to be any better than the contractor which bg do use?

If you are self employed and good at your job, why would you want to sub contract from BG? Why is it that almost everyone on here that doesn't work for BG does not have a good word to say about them.

Why do BG engineers keep replacing parts instead of repairing the boiler when the "Local private engineer" could not operate in this way in order to make a living?

If you know what you are talking about, don't try to big up BG just because you have an interest.

Why is it that almost everyone on here that doesn't work for BG does not have a good word to say about them.

because they are competion.

Why do BG engineers keep replacing parts instead of repairing the boiler when the "Local private engineer" could not operate in this way in order to make a living?

Because we can. I take it you've never been stumped by a boiler and tried a part just in case?

If you know what you are talking about, don't try to big up BG just because you have an interest.

???? that makes no sense :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back