British Gas Homecare 200

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I just wondered if there were any good/bad opinions on the Homecare service offered by BG.

I have signed up for it, in the hope to avoid too much stress/worry in the future, but they have not been in touch for the original checkup. I called and they have given me a date of 21 Feb for first review (originally signed up 31/12/2007). If I had not called, I have a feeling I would be waiting forever! Generally the service is very slack (had to spend the first 10 mins convincing them I was a paid up customer).

I am a bit worried that it will give up before then, and the BG engineer will invariably discern it is a 'long term' problem and not support me.

Looking around the internet, I can only see bad things about them, but I suppose that is the nature of things - people only ever take the time to complain! I am in central london, so I thought I would get better service (just from sheer density) but still.. I am not sure...

In the worst case, can people give me advice on the best way to get out of the contract, and a good plumber to do a service in inner East London.

Thanks

Kath

Sponsored Links
I had a good experience with them.

The main reason for this was that my boiler was an old back boiler that if i'm honest probably should have been replaced.

In the first month of subscription I had the pilot light ignitor and the ignitition thermostat on the fire front replaced.

At around the 3 month mark I had a brand new digital 7 day programmer installed free of charge, provided I purchased a carbon monoxide detector at £35. Not a bad deal I thought.

I also had the yearly service, which usually took the guy about an hour to clean out the boiler and fire front. They also did chimney checks and ventilation checks. I always had to phone them to arrange though, they don't phone you!

For my situation, old boiler, old system, it was worth it. I don't think it would be worth it now in my latest house with a new central heating system installed.

One downside was that every couple of months I'd get a call wanting me to upgrade to top package, where they cover electrics, plumbing, appliances. This one was not worth it in my opinion.

Hi,

I just wondered if there were any good/bad opinions on the Homecare service offered by BG.

depends on the condition of the system and boiler. in most cases it is worth it but some feel its not value for money if the system doesnt break down often enough.

I have signed up for it, in the hope to avoid too much stress/worry in the future, but they have not been in touch for the original checkup. I called and they have given me a date of 21 Feb for first review (originally signed up 31/12/2007). If I had not called, I have a feeling I would be waiting forever! Generally the service is very slack (had to spend the first 10 mins convincing them I was a paid up customer).

bad time of year to be expecting a first visit quickly. after you have been signed up for more than a month and havent had the initial inspection they are obliged to carry out any repair as per the terms and conditions and as long as the boiler/system are not in any way unsafe.

I am a bit worried that it will give up before then, and the BG engineer will invariably discern it is a 'long term' problem and not support me.

see above. read the terms and copnditions and know what you are paying for, do not rely on others to do this for you.

Looking around the internet, I can only see bad things about them, but I suppose that is the nature of things - people only ever take the time to complain! I am in central london, so I thought I would get better service (just from sheer density) but still.. I am not sure...

there are plenty of moaners but no praise on the net. TBH you will probably get the worst service nationally where you live. how that compares to other services in the area is for you to find out and compare.

In the worst case, can people give me advice on the best way to get out of the contract

now is the time to get out if you want to. otherwise you may be liable to the 1 year contract that you have asked for and penalty charges if you want to leave early.

nickso, had a strange one today, well rip off one :eek:

Went to a little old oap lady, 3 year old Britony SE 80. pcb gone. Gave her a price of £275 to fix. Told her to call BG on a fixed price repair.

She called them, only to be told that there was no way they could tell her when an engineer could call, may be up to 1 month, but if she took out the £27 monthly service plan someone would be there tomorrow :eek: :mad:

Needless to say I got the job.

I know this is nothing to do with you as an engineer, but certainly cannot help any BG employee.

Then BG wonder why they get a bad name :confused:

Sponsored Links

Went to a little old oap lady, 3 year old Britony SE 80. pcb gone. Gave her a price of £275 to fix. Told her to call BG on a fixed price repair.

She called them, only to be told that there was no way they could tell her when an engineer could call, may be up to 1 month, but if she took out the £27 monthly service plan someone would be there tomorrow :eek: :mad:

I know this is nothing to do with you as an engineer, but certainly cannot help any BG employee.

yeh they prioritise the jobs for homecare customers first and then put the on call assistance jobs in a queue i believe. at this time of year there is only one outcome....big wait.

TBH i do so few OCA's that it doesnt really affect me and as i take absolutely no nonsense from customers anyway, a shouty OCA customer isnt going to faze me much :LOL:

shame for them sometimes though, as you found out today, they will end up paying more as a result.

So far so good...not many calls..one in fact but it is an insurance type policy so I don't mind. Last year they came out and replaced the flue fan on my Potterton Netaheat Profile...no issues at all...every year I get a letter with a date for my annual service on the boiler. I don't have the electrical cover...I'm an electrician....but I do have the plumbing as I have an unvented system and theres no way I'm going to mess with that. That gets checked along with the boiler. Guys are always prompt and know what they are doing.

Interestingly when I ask them about my 18 year old boiler they have all said that its a good, very common, reliable model and they can always get parts.....despite its age.

Hi,

Thanks for the responses, and you are right, I will go home and review the T&C's in a bit more detail. I have a great fear of being pressured when people are onsite, and having zero knowledge of boilers makes me feel at a great disadvantage. So, I was hoping that BG would remove the risk of being ripped off terribly.

I really expected a whole lot of BG abuse to be honest! I am a bit reassured with these responses, so I will continue for at least this year.

For £18 a month for 1 year I think's it ok, but still interested in hearing other responses.

Thanks again

Kath

Not sure how variable the service is around different areas...

Worth a try though....but if you ever get any pressure ask the people here as they can always tell you if what you are being told is right or BS....

Any insurance is better than no insurance. Living in London BG are prob best option. The service engineers are generally good, but expect to met an occasional muppet. Theres good and bad in any large organisation.
If you are in a zone parking area the BG guys are bothered about getting a ticket.
If they start talking new boiler, always get a second opinion/price, preferably from a recommendation.
Just because you have BG cover doesn't mean you have to replace boiler through them, they will still cover new appliance.

Yes, another BG fallout customer last week. Been paying £300 a year for cover on a Netaheat MKIIF. The eng. attending was aggresive and intimidating to the customer (he clearly didn't want to be doing the job having been drafted in from the midlands) and refused to fix the boiler despite the customer suffering from ill health, just expected them to have a new system for £7000!

£100 vapour switch got it going. Customer will claim back my invoice.

Yes, another BG fallout customer last week. Been paying £300 a year for cover on a Netaheat MKIIF. The eng. attending was aggresive and intimidating to the customer (he clearly didn't want to be doing the job having been drafted in from the midlands) and refused to fix the boiler despite the customer suffering from ill health, just expected them to have a new system for £7000!

£100 vapour switch got it going. Customer will claim back my invoice.

She shouldn't get it, she should have put in a complaint call and asked for an alternative eng.
The guys are volunteers rather than drafted and for a pretty handsome reward aswell.

Hi,

I am sure very few people care - but I thought I would give an update on BG service!

They never made it out for the initial check, and the boiler pressure dropped and stopped working. Guy came out the next day (Fri), repressurised and signed off the boiler (as covered) and it worked for a while. It stopped working again sometime in the night, and the guy came out again the next day (Sunday) and did some work, but couldn't get it to fire.

The guy wasn't fabulous, but he did order some parts, and book me someone else, who came out two days later (yes, this is now 5 days without heat). This new guy realised there was a much bigger problem, which meant I needed a new heat exchanger, ignition system (I think), and numerous associated parts to go with it.

In the end, said it was about 900 in parts, and 5 hrs work (turned out to be slightly less, but about right). Which they came out and did on the Friday morning. And all covered no comment.

So - diagnosis wasn't fabulous, but in the end I was very pleased - getting a hell of a lot of service and parts for very little money! I think I have covered a good few years of 'insurance' payments in this first experience.

Only downside was waiting around all day, but the staff on the phone were all actually very friendly and as helpful as they could be. One guy was a little fussy about a wooden box I have had built around the boiler, although it was built to have all panels removed for access. He was very reluctant to even try to remove one of the panels (so I did it!!) which was just screwed in, but took a bit of a push to actually get out once the screws were removed.

But, regardless, I was very happy with the result, and excellent value so far. Thought I would give some good feedback!

Thanks for the help from this forum,

Kath

Careful Dave, I seem to have endered the BG mafia

Dave :eek:

I think you have been incredibly lucky Kath. As you are aware your boiler is a complete dog that most pro's wouldn't touch. Having spent so much in time and parts don't be surprised the next time you call out BG the parts "aren't available" or it's "not economical to repair". Didn't they try it on with the powerflush scam before? They are now just waiting to blag you on a replacement boiler to get their money back and more. No insurance company can make an ethical profit on such a piece of junk. :)

kmmr99

Contracts like this depend on your own personal circumstances.
If you are living alone for instance, and no man in the house, they can be a godsend. Engineers who advertise in Free papers for instance are notorious for not turning up, in spite of their promises.
British Gas only employ qualified engineers. But some qualified engineers are better than others, in the same way that some clerks are better than others.
One advantage of a contract with British Gas is that if things go wrong you can go right to the top man if necessary, and get some action.
Although some small local firms are very good, if you come across one that is not so good, it is often difficult to secure any redress.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back