British Gas Magna Clean quote

get your heat ex sorted by them and get someone else in to fit a magnaclean.....or do it yourself....no gas work, bit of plumbing!

yeah i think thats exactly what i am gonna do, he showed me the leaflet and it was the Adey small cannister one, i even phoned them tonight and they wouldnt quote me over the phone and said that someone would have to come around to sit down and go through a quote?

he also warned me about 3rd party interference if someone other than BG fitted it my homecare would have lots of clauses where they wouldnt cover me

i had to remind myself it was my boiler and i can do what i like to it :)

Sponsored Links
You can, just don't expect someone else to pay for anything if your work goes wrong, not that I'm saying it will. :D

You can, just don't expect someone else to pay for anything if your work goes wrong, not that I'm saying it will. :D

sorry i meant that i can get anyone to work on or fit stuff to my boiler, not that i can do what i want to it :)

the quote with the hydroflow was £480 as he said it was another £150 for the hydro filter, its a shame really as the last two BGs that have been out ahve been really good but just not sure about this, its a lot of money when the filter is £80ish imho

Sponsored Links
Always one nugget that ruins it as they say. If you got someone else to fit it then that's champion, if say the canister leaks then BG won't repair and say get installer to claim on warranty, whereas if they fitted it it's covered even after 1year warranty on magna expires. Six and two threes. TBH I'd still sort it anyway.

Think I'd let him do the repair on the boiler and put the magna on a hold for a bit. You never know, they may decide to drop the price, especially since they quoted me the "fixed" price (last month) of £230 for my house in London. Funny how a fixed price seems to vary according to whichever BG operative happens to turn up on the day :rolleyes:

Your matey boy there sounds like a dozey wide boy to me

You're right they are fixed prices for national and London. Only price change I'm aware of is the VAT increase.
My laptop says £256 magna for national and £264 for central London and £261 for greater London.

That is not the normal B/gas price for a normal 22mm magna clean on a combi,,sure he did not include other stuff in that price . I would certainly quote cheaper than that off my laptop. Yes we are tied to prices but there is room for negotiation

Looks like the inreased pressure on engineers to sell upgrades is starting to kick in! I would never push a customer into a corner like that, no way! If this is BG's idea of 'growing the business', then the business is going to go down the toilet!

well what do you know, the part ordered did not arrive yesterday so had to re schedule today for changing the plate exchanger, got a different engineer who was very friendly and knowledgeable and i asked him for a quote for the magnaclean and bugger me....written quote for £256 all in as its a fixed price.

I can feel a letter to BG coming on already

Hi

getting my plate exchanger replaced on my Worcester 28CDi tomorrow, the BG chap that came round said that i was daft not to fit a magnaclean filter at the same time, he quoted me £350 fitted so i said i would speak to the mrs etc and let him know. He then said that he needed to know so he could book it in and tie the two jobs together, i said that i would need to look at it as its a lot of money and again he said he needed to know now as i wouldnt be able to book it at al later date, so i binned it off as i am not signing up to £350 of work without looking into it. Sure enough a quick search on the ole tinterweb shows exactly the same piece of equipment (Adey magnaclean pro filter) showing up as £83. Looking at all the instructions (which say it is a simple job) it seems very straight forward, does this mean that £350 minus filter price £80 approx makes for a labour charge of £270? how long does the job take? he also said that if they didnt supply and fit my warranty/homecare is not covered, he then also threw in a few horror stories like
"if you have removed one of your radiators to paint behind it and replace it, in the event of your house burning down your home insurance is invalid if the insurance company find out that you removed and replaced the rad as you are not gas qualified"

??

its about time BG where highlighted on rough traders but not in a million years will yea see these exposed for what they are be well away biggest scammers on the market.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back