CH magnaclean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
happy xmas everyone.

I heard a sudden noise from the CH in the airing cupboard yesteday (continuous loud noise, like a big engine running), so I shut down the CH for a while. Then I turned it on again and the noise did not come back. Today I called the British gas (I have a homecare contract) and the engineer inspected the system (used a magnet, and tested the water from the rad) and recommended to repipe near the pump and fit a magnaclean. He said there is too much sludge in the system especailly in pipes in the airing cupboard near the pump and the air separator is blocked.

He quoted the job of repipe and fitting magnaclean for 423 GBP (he said half day job). Do you think this is a fair price? Many thanks for your reply! And would that definitely cure the problem? The CH and boiler is about 16 years old.

Sponsored Links
I fitted a magnaclean just last week to an old system. I checked it after just five minutes and the amount of crud it removed was impressive.
A magnaclean is always a worthwhile investment.

I think you had a great BG guy there but unfortunately hes tied to his BG prices which I would suggest you could get for £100+ less.

Pay the BG price in this case and know that the man knows his stuff and can make your system work for sure.

A Magnaclean is currently used by BG staff as a way of getting out of the house.

If you were a salaried maintenance engineer working on a points win prizes time and motion scheme you would try and fix any fault you could without draining down, and failing that, 'sign off' the difficult job for someone else at a later visit.

That is why BG staff are frequently recommending Powerflushes and Magnacleans, its not because the company is dishonest, it is just their way of measuring productivity indirectly encourages this behavour.

Like any company BG can only be as good as the last man through the door and I know there are some very diligent staff working for them, trouble is, they tend to demotivate those by letting the bad'uns get away with it.

Sponsored Links
magna cleans are 70 pound,

they do a great job and are a very easy diy install.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back