Magnaclean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking about installing a magnaclean into my system. had BG out a few months ago and they put a magnet onto my pipework in the airing cupboard which stuck to it! i have since run a couple of flushes through the CH system and drained down several times and added inhibitor. question i have is which pipe is best to install the magnaclean on? i probably need a powerflush but thought this might help in the interim?

Sponsored Links
i have since run a couple of flushes through the CH system...
Did you use any chemical cleansing agent?

question i have is which pipe is best to install the magnaclean on?
The return pipe between the last rad and the boiler.

Sadly, this is usually impractical, so the Magnaclean often ends up on the flow, between boiler and pump. Better there than nowhere.

The return pipe between the last rad and the boiler.
Sadly, this is usually impractical, so the Magnaclean often ends up on the flow, between boiler and pump. Better there than nowhere.

Thankfully someone giving out proper advice about these things. In an ideal world yes they should go on the return by the boiler, but I've fitted quite a few of these things & in reality they go wherever you can fit them. As Softus says better there than nowhere.

To answer the OP !

A Magnaclean will, not remove deposited iron compounds which are blocking or nearly blocking pipes.

All they will do is trap circulating solids !

Tony

Sponsored Links
you need a proper flsuh and then a magnaclean. and yeah best onn the return but in the mi's it does state a flow connection is acceptable. cant see why not either as the crap is in there allready.

yes i ran a chemical flush through that i bought from city plumbing, let it circulate for a couple of weeks before draining and flushing

well you can give the magnaclean a go, it wont hurt. but in my limited experience a chemical flush wont touch bloackages.

i know you can hire a powerflush from travis perkins for about £50. is it a diy job or one best left to the experts?

If it's got deposits hard enough to stick a magnet to, normal chems won't shift them, you have to cut pipe out. Often it's only near the pump and quite accessible to small drain springs though. See the "pumping over" FAQ for a pic.

I know you can hire a powerflush from travis perkins for about £50. is it a diy job or one best left to the experts?
Ah well, experts, hmm....
Print this out. Stick it on the wall, and throw a dart at it. Your task is to hit a white part. It's there if you look hard.
Spotthewhiteman.gif

Me? Oh I'm in the grey area.

how do you get to the FAQ's, i can't seem to see them. yes it was on the pipes near to the pump where they stuck a magnet. there isn't any blockages though. i presume when you say normal chemicals you refer to chemicals used with a powerflush? thanks for the picture, will sharpen my darts up!

"Sticky:FAQs". See it?

By normal I mean excluding strongly acidic ones. Even phosphoric/citric acis won't dissolve everything.

To the OP

What problems do you have that gave the engineer reason to recommend a powerflush?

Have to get me one of those magnets that tell you if someone needs a powerflush. Beats checking radiators and checking water quality

:rolleyes:

problem was that some of the radiators did not get very hot, especially at the bottoom, we have taken some off and flush them through and this has improved things a bit. we put a couple of new towel rails on recently and they get alot hotter than the existing radiators.

To the OP

What problems do you have that gave the engineer reason to recommend a powerflush?

Have to get me one of those magnets that tell you if someone needs a powerflush. Beats checking radiators and checking water quality

:rolleyes:

it doesnt stop uou doing those neccessary checks, but its a very simple way of demonstration the prob to customers and pointing you in the right direction.

It doesn't tell you anything, other than the presence of magnetic debris, but not how much or how bad.
A bit of hardened sludge around the cold feed doesn't tell you you need a powerflush. BG engineers are pushed to sell, upgrades, cods, boilers etc.
they also get commission albeit a small amount(about £8 for a powerflush), but for a good seller it adds up nicely.
I'm not saying the guy doesn't definately need a powerflush, but I've gone to many jobs after engineers have recommended powerflushes only to find duff pumps, badly balanced systems, blocked cold feeds, duff rad valves, even empty header tanks!
All these things should be investigated first before recommending powerflushing. Even if you have a blocked or partially blocked c'feed a bit of routine maintenance after can be sufficient to prevent re-occurence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back