Magnaclean - ease of cleaning?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating system needs the minimum of powerflushing and it has been suggested that I have a Magnaclean unit fitted in the airing cupboard at that time. Once installed is the Magnaclean unit easy to clean?Does it require any maintenance? Can inhibitor be added through into the system by someone like myself who is not technically minded?

Sponsored Links
magnaclean is a piece of cake to clean while the isolation valves hold ok. shut off valves, unscrew lid remove the magnet and wipe the crud off the plastic housing.

Its ideal for adding inhibitor too, although you cannot get a whol litre in there but you should not really have to add it very often anyhow.

I really is an amazing product when you see how much crud it remives from the system.

Fit two full bore valve on a Magnaclean as the supplied valves are poor, or fit a Senitel filter instead, which is easier to clean out and superior.

Sponsored Links
Remember to remove the magnet before trying to wash off the crud too :evil:

ys it is easy

but:

have the pipes clamped firmly to the wall, as you have to twist the cap off the device with a big spanner, so the pipes must resist the force

allow about a foot of space above it, as you lift up the cap and long magnet for cleaning. if it is at a height where you can look down into the can this is better than having it high up

you may drip water out while cleaning so I put a basin or old towel underneath.

You will probably enjoy taking it off to see how much grime it has collected in the first couple of weeks. After a few months it will probably be pretty clean and not need doing for a long time.

If your system is not sealed (i.e. it has a Feed and Expansion tank in the loft) this is an easier way to add chemicals. Also, if the system is dirty, you can bale out this tank and sponge out the mud to prevent it flowing down into the system.

Once you have a Magnaclean fited, you can add a cleaning chemical called Sentinel X400 which loosens all the old black dirt, and it will then be collected by the Magnaclean. this is very satisfying. You do not have to drain out this chemical unless you need to drain for some other reason. Add it during the heating season when water is going to be be pumped round all the radiators for several weeks (the chemical loses its power after about 2 months, but by then you should have loosened and collected most of the dirt). If your system is fairly new and generally clean you can skip this. Edited: You say you are having in powerflushed, so there should be no need to use a cleaning chemnical again.

The Magnaclean only collects black Magnetite sediment, but this is most likely what you have got.

Make sure your installer adds a corrosion inhibitor chemical to prevent future corrosion when refiling.

I am just a householder.

ys it is easy

but:

have the pipes clamped firmly to the wall, as you have to twist the cap off the device with a big spanner, so the pipes must resist the force

It's only supposed to be hand tight though, so they won't be under much force.

yes, I know, but if it is stiff and the pipes are loose they will move

The Sentinel uses the force of the pressurised system to lush the crud out of the filter. It have not looked closly, but if a pipe cam be attached to the bottom of the filter it is amatter of opening it and having the pipe discharge to a drain.

I don't think Sentinel recommend leaving X-400 in the system for ever.

There is no limit to the time for which the product can safely be left in the system.
http://www.sentinel-solutions.net/en/heating/X400/application

Of course, this only makes sense if you have a Magnaclean or other device that enables you to remove the trapped sediment, otherwise you would be leaving it in the system unless you drained it out.

I understand the "cleaning power" of X400 diminishes after about 4 weeks, so you need to remove the loosened material by then.

Once you have a Magnaclean fited, you can add a cleaning chemical called Sentinel X400 which loosens all the old black dirt, and it will then be collected by the Magnaclean. this is very satisfying.
Satisfying, but not the be and all of cleaning out a system, as well you know.

You do not have to drain out this chemical unless you need to drain for some other reason.
I feel like I'm in Groundhog Day. This piece of bad advice keeps appearing again, and again, and again.

To be clear (as I thought I had been before), you need to follow the manufacturer's instructions when using X400. It is not designed to be left in the system indefinitely.

[url=http://www.sentinel-solutions.net/en/heating/X400/questions]Sentinel[/url] said:
X400 works by lifting and dispersing the sludge into the circulating water so that it can be removed by draining and then flushing the system. After cleaning the system in this way, it should be filled with fresh water and protected from further corrosion using Sentinel X100 inhibitor.

My central heating system needs the minimum of powerflushing and it has been suggested that I have a Magnaclean unit fitted in the airing cupboard at that time...
why bother draining again after all that?

My central heating system needs the minimum of powerflushing and it has been suggested that I have a Magnaclean unit fitted in the airing cupboard at that time...
why bother draining again after all that?
Equally, I could ask why you would add X400 after all that.

Why would you add X400 after all that?

to give the Magnaclean something to do

Why would you drain again after all that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back