How often does a Magnaclean need to be cleaned?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a Powerflush done (supposedly) but was told i'd have to clean the filter on my Magnaclean every couple of weeks for the first few months. The cleaning frequency would then subsequently reduce to just once every couple of months.

Prior to the installation I was told that it would only need to be cleaned once every year and could be done with the annual boiler service.

I did specify a low or zero maintenance installation.

So, if a system has been Powerflushed then would the Magnaclean need cleaning so often?

Sponsored Links
You are not in a position to specify a zero maintenance system.

The answer is that the Magnaclean needs to be checked after 3-4 weeks and then based on what is found he future inspection regime can be decided.

Its very difficult to explain to many people how much dirt js found. I refer to the catch as the volume in cc. But as a start less than half the population have any idea what a cc is. More know what 10cc is though.

If its only 2-3 cc then it can be left until the next service. If its 10-20 cc then I would say it should be checked again after 3-4 weeks.

The catch tends to be most for the first few weeks. It all depends on how effective the powerflush was. It should have taken several hours and involved frequent visits to each rad.

Tont Glazier

I used to open mine one a week, until there was not enough to scrape off. Then I reduced the frequency to monthly while there was still enough to scrape off the plastic sleeve (take it off the magnret) and get a few teaspoonsfuls off it. Now it goes for months, and I could probably leave it a year.

If there is only a smear you know you could have left it longer.

When it is so dirty that you get a quarter-inch or more layer on the sleeve, you know you have left long enough, but it will still keep capturing more, so no harm done.

If you are obsessive you can keep a record of how many teaspoonsfuls you got off on what date.

None of the rest of us know how dirty your system is so none of us can guess how often you need to clean it.

Here's an example. This was about 15-20ml and worth cleaning off.

View media item 12015
View media item 12016

Sponsored Links
I've had a Powerflush done (supposedly) but was told i'd have to clean the filter on my Magnaclean every couple of weeks for the first few months.
It would seem that you had a cowboy round who did not even trust his own work.
A properly powerflushed system does not need a filter at all.

I've had a Powerflush done (supposedly) but was told i'd have to clean the filter on my Magnaclean every couple of weeks for the first few months.
It would seem that you had a cowboy round who did not even trust his own work.
A properly powerflushed system does not need a filter at all.

you mean you powerflush so well that you can stop corrosion forming at any point in the future?

I don't think any system cant be helped by having a magnetic filter especially after a powerflush you've got the system clean why not install a filter and keep it that way.

A proper power flush followed by a proper inhibitor will mean that no significant further corrosion will occur.

I would not advise a mag filter after i had power flushed a system but it does give peace of mind.

Very unfortunately the one day boiler installers have found that they can charge extra for a mag filter and do even less to flush out the system by just changing the water.

Tony

A proper power flush followed by a proper inhibitor will mean that no significant further corrosion will occur.

I would not advise a mag filter after I had power flushed a system but it does give peace of mind.

Very unfortunately the one day boiler installers have found that they can charge extra for a mag filter and do even less to flush out the system by just changing the water.

Tony

So essentially by that logic a clean system with inhibitor will never get dirty ,ever.

Maybe in theory but after doing this for 20+ years it doesn't work like that , people drain system ,take rads off,they don't top up inhibitor levels each year ,its not real world thinking that that inhibitor will protect it , when a few £ extra at install will help.

I sample system water and if its not bad and they are strapped id suggest a magnetic filter over a powerflush with out second thought.
When i do a install i power flush and fit a magnetic filter as standard i think its madness not too, i just add cost of filter onto job when fitting with boiler your talking £62 for a magna clean.
Alpha even include a TF1 in the box on there CDC ranges.

So, if a system has been Powerflushed then would the Magnaclean need cleaning so often?

I cant comment on how often you need to clean it, that all depends how dirty your system is at present.

But you might want to replace it every year once it inevitably starts to leak :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back