British Gas - proper repair job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do a lot of basic boiler repairs within my property maintenance work, but as I am not an RGI, I use British Gas one off repair for repairs I can’t legally do. I had a boiler which made a metallic screeching sound and then the fan stopped and it cut out. I therefore assumed a failed fan and booked a repair.

The boiler is 5 years old. The engineer spent 10 mins and sprayed WD40 on the fan and it worked. Is this standard practice? Surely it will seize again in a few weeks? I thought a new fan would have been the solution? Not sure what the final price is yet, but probably £199!

Sponsored Links
The repair is g`teed for a year so if it sticks again you wont be charged for changing

Sponsored Links
He should not have used WD40 because the propellant is flamable!

There are actually much better aerosol lubricants.

Usually I find that a fan got going with WD40 rarely lasts more than six weeks!

If you regularly need boiler repairs it would probably be cheaper to find a local RGI whom you can call on as needed.

Tony

He wouldn't have used WD40, would have cleaned it out with AC90 and / or lubricated it with laco.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back