Becoming a gas service engineer

M

martineire

Hi guys I am looking for a bit of advice on proper training courses in the service and repair of gas boilesr/appliances? I'm a fully qualified plumber and have previously completed GIS & GID gas courses here in Ireland which enable me to register as a RGI here in Ireland. The problem is that regs and standards over here in Ireland is a disgrace and it seems that anyone can become a RGI over here with no relevant background in the trade. Also there is no proper training for the service and repair of gas boilers/appliances apart from a 12 day crash course in it which I've also completed. The problem I'm having is not becoming an RGI, its the actually receiving of proper training in the service and repair side of things. As you can see I have a very good basics to work off and there just seems to be so many cowboys over here working on gas boilers/appliances and I really don't want to be chancing my arm at the service and repair side of thing like the rest of them.

I'm willing to travel up to Northern Ireland to receive proper training in the service and repair side of things. Can anyone point me in the right direction to receive this training in Northern Ireland? and just any advice in general?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Martin I can understand where you are coming from. Expertise in Boiler service & repair work, like many things in life, is down to experience & lot of it.

I'm not too sure how much work there is in NI? But if it's anything like here in central Scotland, it'll not be great. Perhaps you could get a start with a company in SE England, which as normal, appears to be a busy part of the UK. Another area that's good for work is around Aberdeen & the NE of Scotland. Firms there are always advertising for Gas Engineers.

I'm also not too sure if ROI gas qualification would be acceptable here in the UK? But a quick call to Gas Safe would clarify that.
I hope that's some help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back