British Gas Sparks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

1. My 68yr old neighbour had a new boiler fitted by BG. The sparks said to my neighbour that his system is too old and he needs to get it rewired. (no problem, this is true) However he also said that it needs to be done within the next 18 months as it would then be a requirement. I told my neighbour that I think he is pulling a fast one. His system does need updating, he knows that, but he is now worried that he will get into trouble if he doesn't upgrade within this period.

2. The sparks run a cable for the room stat (240v) through the bathroom, just below the ceiling, part of the cable is covered by trunking but halfway along the lenth the trunking stops then restarts 6 inches further on, it was stuck on with D/sided tape and is now coming off the wall. Its in zone 3. Can anyone please advise me as to wether this cable is legal or not.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If BG did the boiler and the stat they should install it properly at no cost to the customer.

If the old dear does not want any mess tell them to put in a remote digistat in instead, they are quite easy to work and are no problem to install.

Reminds me of an old dear who got a not to standard certificate from BG as the boiler was on a plug with 3A fuse and not a spur, they did job for free when she produced the receipt for the boiler- they did the install

Our boiler got a not to standard cert this year, due to the flue being too close to a vertical pipe or something. It has been like that for the last 15 years, and they never said anything before. Guy said some regs have changed or something. :confused:

baldelectrician said:
Reminds me of an old dear who got a not to standard certificate from BG as the boiler was on a plug with 3A fuse and not a spur, they did job for free when she produced the receipt for the boiler- they did the install

I did one not too long back (December I think?), the plugtop had the british gas logo on it :D

Sponsored Links
doit said:
Hi All

2. The sparks run a cable for the room stat (240v) through the bathroom, just below the ceiling, part of the cable is covered by trunking but halfway along the lenth the trunking stops then restarts 6 inches further on, it was stuck on with D/sided tape and is now coming off the wall. Its in zone 3. Can anyone please advise me as to wether this cable is legal or not.

Thanks.

A circuit can run through zone 3 and comply with BS7671. However trunking hanging down doesnt comply.

Thanks for your replys.

British Gas sent a Supervisor to inspect the work this afternoon. Didn't think they could work that fast, mind you I did threaten to go to trading Standards when they tried to fob me off with, "the installer said the installation was within regulation"

The guy who inspected the work was not impressed at all with the standard of work, especially when he saw the joints where the trunking turned through 90 deg. Looked like he used a tree saw the cut it.

To cut a long story short, he is going to recommend a RF Roomstat be fitted, as a way of compensating for inconvenience. Result. :D

Not wanting to indulge in any ageist stereotyping, but some of those RF programmers can be, shall we say, less than intuitive to program -you might like to offer to do it for him....

Good point BAN, didn't even think about the programming side of it. Will make sure it sorted out after they fit it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back