Boss had sparking cable concreted in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Workman doing footings for extension told my wife the armoured suppy cable had produced a spark and he asked her if the house supply was still working ok. She confirmed it was ok. Shortly after the footings were filled with concrete! I phoned up the Contractor that evening to ask if his workman had told him about the spark and he confirmed he had still given the go ahead to pour in the readymix! He did not seem to think there was any problem.
Tomorrow having mulled over the possible implications of future cable failure I am going to take up this matter with him again and stop his intended build on these foundations until a solution is found.
Having noted Bobtheboat's similar story and replies to his thread, //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1795787 I did take the precaution overnight of myself running a two inch duct above the footings under the DPC in anticipation of the concrete floor which now is laid.
Should I contact the Electric Co to carry out tests? What if they find no fault? After all I hardly think it likely they can break into the concrete to inspect the cable without writing it off!
Perhaps I should sack this contractor and refuse to pay for work so far. What if he then denies the "spark" incident?
His workman did the right thing telling my wife and the contractor and may or may not have directly caused the "spark" as the cable is 50 years old. Any blame is his boss's for instructing the concreting without getting the utility provider to inspect for damage.
Maybe a written indemnity from the Contractor agreeing to foot the bill should the section of cable encased in concrete fail in the future?
Any thoughts on this dire predicament?

Sponsored Links
Advise your network operator that you suspect damage has been done to their supply cable. They have an emergency phone number, use that.

The damage may be minimal and the cable survives and continues to safely supply your house.

Or it may be damage that develops into a total failure of the cable which at best will leave you without power but at worst could affect the supply to other houses in the area by blowing fuses in the local sub-station.

Screw them, the cable is 50 years old.

Get the DNo to replace the suspect cable and the contractor can pay for it on his insurance :D

was it out the front or the back
do you have an underground supply to a shed outhouse or garage ??

Sponsored Links
Problem is at the front and extension is built over route for elec and gas. Hence the 2 inch duct in case cable is faulty. No other elec supply to shed or elsewhere!

Problem is at the front and extension is built over route for elec and gas
If the concrete footings have been poured directly over the cable and gas pipe, it's not IF they fail, but when - just a matter of how long it takes.

Gas and electricity supply now compromised.

Water supply and sewage pipes...... are they affected in any way ?

If the "builder" is overtly pouring concrete around electric cables one has to wonder what other serious and potentially dangerous actions have covertly happened.

Come to think about it, if the footings are only deep enough to be dug by a man with a spade are they deep enough to take the weight of the extension.

This is where the local building inspectors can be worth their weight in gold.

Water supply enters elsewhere so not an issue. The footings are to support 5 sq/metre UPVC Porch with lightweight flat roof so no issue with depth either. The Contractor is a very long established local double glazing firm who have built hundreds of similar Porches. I assume they have followed sensible practice and will not have poured the concrete on unprotected pipes! I will ask! The contractor has now given me a written ten year guarantee should any problem arise with the supply pipes under the building. So if I wish the Utility provider can be contacted after work is complete to test for any cable fault.
This contractor has not "covertly" hidden anything! He has acted honestly. Perhaps misguided in proceeding without having the cable first inspected but at least giving a full and open account of the incident. There are other firms who might have simply not told us about the incident and denied any responsibility if later there was a problem
In retrospect the local building regulation department should have been consulted before work began. Under their guidance mistakes would not have been made. My advice to householders is if supply pipes are involved in intended works never rely on your contractor alone. Ensure such work is also under that department's supervision!

I assume they have followed sensible practice

One man's sense is loss of profit to another man. Never assume anything like that, it can be expensive.

My advice to householders is if supply pipes are involved in intended works never rely on your contractor alone.

I would extend that to include ALL aspects of the building process and not just supply pipes.[/quote]

This contractor has not "covertly" hidden anything! He has acted honestly.
Given that he did something so contrary to your best interests, and so contrary to standards of good workmanship I would dispute that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back